Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump sum back pay problem

Options
  • 29-12-2008 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'll give you the main facts:

I was on pre-arranged certified sick leave for two weeks which my workplace agreed to pay me for. I sent on the sick cert to HR as soon as I got it, as they asked me to do so. My first weekly pay check after coming back from sick leave was considerably smaller than it should have been- I was meant to be paid for Christmas hours in advance (payroll would be closing early), my sick pay and the hours I had worked since being back. HR said that they hadn't received the paperwork in time and so would pay me the money they owed me (christmas hours and sick pay) on 31st December, the next pay date.

I have already received my pay slip for this pay date (dated 2nd January) and not only have they not paid me for my Christmas hours, they have changed my tax credits and so I have paid an extraodinary amount of tax as well as a large amount of PRSI, given it's a lump sum payment. I presume that this will happen again when they give me the rest of the money that they owe me.

I have checked with supervisor and he is mystified by it- he provided the correct paperwork to HR as soon as I went on sick leave and has shown me these documents so the delay seems to be on their side.

As well as ony having 1 weeks pay to get me through the whole month of December, I believe I've paid more PRSI than I should have to. I know the PAYE will sort itself out but whatever rate they put me on has deducted over a quarter of the Gross Pay Total which is inconvenient.

HR is open again on Monday so I can't do anything until then, but I intend to sit down with HR and my supervisor to sort this out. Am I entitled to ask for a proportion of the PRSI back? And would it be too cheeky to ask for compensation for the late payment given the amount of time I've been working without being paid (also since it's the Christmas period)?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement