Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new dslr advice

Options
  • 29-12-2008 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

i know im probably going over old ground here but need advice on either canon 40d/50d and nikon d80/90 ,cant seem to seperate the four of them ,want to do mostly sports like gaa/rugby, and landscapes bugdet aound a grand, have handled all four and canon feels more expensive than nikon any feedback from canon and nikon owners welcome thx and happy new year to all

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have a 40D and it gets plenty of use for sport.

Since you've already checked the specs, and had them in your hands, then you should be in a much better way. Personally, I thought the Canon felt better than the Nikon. But, it is a matter of personal choice.

I can't directly comment on those Nikon bodies.

I haven't tried the 50D, so can't really give a view over the 40D, but you can't go wrong with the Canon. Solid camera, and great selection of lenses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

hoganpoly wrote: »
    i know im probably going over old ground here but need advice on either canon 40d/50d and nikon d80/90 ,cant seem to seperate the four of them ,want to do mostly sports like gaa/rugby, and landscapes bugdet aound a grand, have handled all four and canon feels more expensive than nikon any feedback from canon and nikon owners welcome thx and happy new year to all

TBH it's really just down to your own preference between those models. Both are the top systems.

What you really should be looking at is which lens/es you want to use & then pick the Body accordingly. The Sports is going to need long fast glass & the landscape needs wide glass, but with a tripod.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Hi.

Canon owner here and I use a 40D for watersports photography.

The camera is only part of the equation. As CabanSail has pointed out, you're going to have to look at lenses as well and for GAA and rugby I am pretty sure it won't be long before someone tells you that you will need a 2.8 zoom, and for Canon that's generally 70-200mm. You will definitely need a minimum of 200mm zoom anyway and I suspect more.

Do you have a lens budget or are you hoping to work with the kit lenses first off? They'll be okay for landscape but definitely not for sports.

Both Canon and Nikon cameras are okay for what you want. I am not fully au fait with the specs of the two Nikons you cite, but the Canon is definitely up to speed depending on the lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

thx for the advice guys, have just been reviewing dpreview site and got a link to xenos.com they have some great deals like
    canon 40d +17-85mm lens=€588
    canon 50d +17-85mm lens= €788
    d80 18-135 lens=€475
    d90 18-105 lens=€553

anyone use this site and thinking of going for 40d with view to saving for 2.8 from keaphoto.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Although the 40D is abit more pricy,it does have an extra 2FPS because those nikons are only 4fps(?),I think..If you want to go nikon i'd go for a D200 something that has good fps and is on the same level as the 50D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Although the 40D is abit more pricy,it does have an extra 2FPS because those nikons are only 4fps(?),I think..If you want to go nikon i'd go for a D200 something that has good fps and is on the same level as the 50D

i would not reccommend a d200, iso is absolute cack, tis a few gens old now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The D300 is the current body. It will do 9fps with the MB-D10 Grip. This is out of the price range of the OP.

If you are wanting to get into Sports Photography I think the budget is set a bit too low.

40D is well okay for sports photography. The issue will be the lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

With budget in mind 40D.
    With more..50D.

anyone recommend a reasonable price lens to start off with going to go fr canon 40d which can be bought with a 17-85 lens for €588, are sigma and tamron any use thx guys for all your help

• Advertisement

This is very general. Sigma & Tamron both do reasonable lenses, which are normally good value for money. The top of the line Nikon & Canon glass is ussually excellent, but you pay for it too. From what I hear the Nikon Kit Lenses are ussually a bit better quality than the Canon Kit Lenses.

The 40D with the 17-85 will get you going & be a good general set up. Throw in UV, CPL Filters for it you are ready for most things. Get a Tripod & a load of patience for doing some landscapes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

IMHO get the 40D over the 50D. They're pretty much the same camera apart from a few little things.

The money you save on a 40D over 50D can be spent on decent glass. Lenses are the most important thing really.

Second the 40D. I'd add though that if you're at the learning stage, a 200E sigma 70-300mm DG APO is not a bad place to start, it's not expensive and will give you an idea of what you'll really need when you're getting ready to spend lots more money on lenses for sports.

Calina wrote: »
    Second the 40D. I'd add though that if you're at the learning stage, a 200E sigma 70-300mm DG APO is not a bad place to start, it's not expensive and will give you an idea of what you'll really need when you're getting ready to spend lots more money on lenses for sports.

seen these two what you think?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/26774/Show.html?SkuId=26774&tduid=b78e5aba4c3de64e5c95b1f7a7f38f90&url=http://www.jessops.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?SkuId=26774

http://www.xenosworld.com/items.php?id=588199

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭PonderStibbons

Just had a look at xenosworld.com , and I'd say it's a scam. Although the camera prices seem reasonable enough, they have 'too good to be true' prices for a Macbook Air, and they say they have about ten stores in the UK, but it is impossible to find any information about them on google. My advice would be to stick with Jessops, they're a well known bricks and mortar shop. Be very careful anyway!

yeah thx pity had my sights set on cheap 40d from xenosworld but researched and looks like a scam alright will stick to jessops when then sale starts and 40d goes down in price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

By the way, there are always some cameras from decent people on adverts.ie.

ThOnda wrote: »
    By the way, there are always some cameras from decent people on adverts.ie.

of course will keep an eye on the adverts thx thonda
    :)

Advertisement