Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whinging puppy! advice please....

Options
  • 29-12-2008 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

i finally got my much awaited for basset hound pup. all is going well with housetraining, but i want him to sleep in the utility at night time.dont want him wandering the rooms and having the run of the place.
    only problem is he absolutely hates it! even if i put him in for 10 minutes during the day he is whelping for attention - ive tried it with door closed and with puppy gate - both are a disaster. its come to the stage where i cant even run into town for an hour and leave him safely alone - we have neighbours and i dont want to disturb them. i knew before i got him that bassets can be v whingy but i think this is one of the most important things i must crack before i head back to work next week.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

ahaaha wrote: »
    if i put him in for 10 minutes during the day he is whelping for attention

Hehe, that's some puppy you have there if he can whelp :D

Anyway, on a more serious note, you need to get him accustomed to being left alone by starting with leaving him alone for 10 minutes, with his favourite toy, a blankie etc. Leave a radio on low, something with music and talk. Have you got a kong or a similar toy? Something filled with food that he'll have to work for will occupy him for a while.

The most important thing is not to make a fuss when you come in or go out. Just quietly pop out and return a few minutes later, ignoring him for a couple of minutes if he gets worked up about this. You can increase the times you're out for over a period of time and hopefully he'll soon accept that you do pop in and out and it's nothing to worry about.

You can also get a spray/plug in called DAP - it mimics the natural pheromones produced by lactating bitches to reassure puppies.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

nice one-he had his booster today so he's conked at the mo. the kong is a great idea-the boy does love his food!

trying not to make a big fuss over the leaving in and out of the utility - fingers crossed he'll get the drift soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I would also highly recommend crate training. It works wonders on any vocal dog I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭ahaaha

I would also highly recommend crate training. It works wonders on any vocal dog I had.

Thanks helena. how did you introduce the crate? did you let the dog in it in a social area in the house first and gradually move it to his 'area'-the utility in my case. he is sleepin in the utility no problem since the third night but still wont stay in it during the day and i dont want to waste money on a crate he may not even use!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

ahaaha wrote: »
    i finally got my much awaited for basset hound pup. all is going well with housetraining, but i want him to sleep in the utility at night time.dont want him wandering the rooms and having the run of the place.
    only problem is he absolutely hates it! even if i put him in for 10 minutes during the day he is whelping for attention - ive tried it with door closed and with puppy gate - both are a disaster. its come to the stage where i cant even run into town for an hour and leave him safely alone - we have neighbours and i dont want to disturb them. i knew before i got him that bassets can be v whingy but i think this is one of the most important things i must crack before i head back to work next week.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated
    i have had four dogs over the years ,when they were puppys to help them to sleep at night i used to put a ticking clock in a smelly sock this i believe makes the puppy think he is still with his mum [the ticking clock sounds like her heart] well it worked for me

• Advertisement
Advertisement