Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What has happened to Brian Carney?

Options
  • 29-12-2008 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

What has happened to Brian Carney? Haven't heard any mention off him since last season. Thought he was pretty good last season for Munster in HC pool stages and ML. Any hope for another Ireland call up from old coach Kidney?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Injured last I checked. Completely off the radar anyway when he has Doug Howlett, Ian Dowling, Keith Earls amongst others as better options for the wing.

No chance at all of him getting a call up for Ireland at his age and speed. He does have some very good finishing abilities and it isn't for nothing that he is regarded as one of the best rugby league players of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Goose81

Fairly sad tbh,I think Munster have treated him disgracefully.They should have released him by now to go play a bit of league to end his career.Judging by his performances in a union shirt I would still have him ahead of Downling tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Goose81 wrote: »
    Fairly sad tbh,I think Munster have treated him disgracefully.They should have released him by now to go play a bit of league to end his career.Judging by his performances in a union shirt I would still have him ahead of Downling tbh.

Rubbish. He's been plagued by injury since he came, he wanted to stay and fight for his place and Dowling has been one of Munster's best players over the past year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

RichTea wrote: »
    Rubbish. He's been plagued by injury since he came, he wanted to stay and fight for his place and Dowling has been one of Munster's best players over the past year.

+1
    I don't think anyone saw Dowling coming through at a H.C level, but credit the man he owns that jersey at the moment. Carney was a great singing at the time but maybe left it a season too late to make a proper international impact at union. A great finisher IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Its a classic case of where it would be great to be able to 'loan' players to connacht.

Leinster and Munster have very good Irish players who are not getting top game time, and it would be good to be able to send them to [hell or to] connacht for 3 months/6 months/season for the sake of the players and the playing base in Ireland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Its a classic case of where it would be great to be able to 'loan' players to connacht.

Leinster and Munster have very good Irish players who are not getting top game time, and it would be good to be able to send them to [hell or to] connacht for 3 months/6 months/season for the sake of the players and the playing base in Ireland..

Thats a brilliant idea IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

Its a classic case of where it would be great to be able to 'loan' players to connacht

I think you'll find him either in the Munster backroom setup or else continuing on with a legal career.
    Pity about his injuries but Munster knew he was prone when they signed him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

I think you'll find him either in the Munster backroom setup or else continuing on with a legal career.
    Pity about his injuries but Munster knew he was prone when they signed him up.

Also an excellent pundit for BBC RL coverage of late. Extremely polished performer and very knowledgeable, definitely an avenue he could pursue if he chooses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

toomevara wrote: »
    Also an excellent pundit for BBC RL coverage of late. Extremely polished performer and very knowledgeable, definitely an avenue he could pursue if he chooses.
    Yep, possibly. Saw him during the RLWC. He was very good. That time in Aussie taught him a lot about the media (even on Matty Johns' Footy Show birthday as a Sheep Farmer :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,053 ✭✭✭✭phog

Reasonable idea but in practice how would it work? I know you can't be cup tied in the HC but is there something similar wrt ML and CC? Would loaning a player dislodge a player in Connacht for the loan period? Can it only be "Irish qualified" players that can be loaned and to a position where an Irish Player isnt already holding?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Carney has been very unlucky with injuries.
    If he was always fit you never know, he could be starting for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Goose81

So your saying he has been constantly injured for his whole time at munster.I dont believe that tbh.Its a shame he hasnt played more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Goose81 wrote: »
    So your saying he has been constantly injured for his whole time at munster.I dont believe that tbh.Its a shame he hasnt played more.

No, what I'm saying is he has got a fair number of injuries. If you pull a ham-string, for example, while your injured you can do very little training so you lose a lot of your fitness and muscle. Carney never had a chance to reach his full potential in rugby union.

Advertisement