Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N95 power button problem, can you power on without it?

Options
  • 28-12-2008 9:56pm

Hi all,

Just before xmas i dropped my phone :( and whatever way it fell, a small crack appeared around the power button.
    I did a bit of tampering and was able to remove the button, when i did i noticed the "proper/real" small button underneath is loose.

Now, when i press the button, nothing happens. Which isnt a massive problem as i dont turn it off anyway, but the problem is if i drop the phone or battery unexpectedly goes and it turns off.

So, my question is, is there any other way of turning the phone on without the button, or any app which automatically turns it on if it turns off or anything at all like that that can help until i have the money to get it fixed.
    Also, any ideas where i can get it fixed or how much etc ?

Cheers,
    Spyguy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

I don't know of anyway to turn my Nokia n95 8GB on without the power button.

Try www.mprc.ie for a quote on how much it would cost to fix. I've used them twice (although they were warranty repairs) and found them quick and decent.

Grand so, cheers Random, will give them a shot.

Spyguy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

If you remove the battery and re-install it does that cause the phone to power up. Sorry but I am not familar with your model.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

dingding wrote: »
    If you remove the battery and re-install it does that cause the phone to power up. Sorry but I am not familar with your model.

No, it doesn't!!!!!

Didnt think so either, good job i didnt try ! Thanks anyway !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

you can open it up and short out the power button thing but the switch is probably a solder mount thing hard to repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Is the phone off now or are you looking at a 'what if' the phone turns off situation? If its on, you can set a repeat alarm, I dunno, maybe once or twice a day. That way, if the phone turns off, wait til the next alarm. When the alarm rings you should be given the option to "power phone on" when you silence the alarm. If the phone's already off, eh, good luck.

noblestee wrote: »
    Is the phone off now or are you looking at a 'what if' the phone turns off situation? If its on, you can set a repeat alarm, I dunno, maybe once or twice a day. That way, if the phone turns off, wait til the next alarm. When the alarm rings you should be given the option to "power phone on" when you silence the alarm. If the phone's already off, eh, good luck.
    No way, forgot about that. Thanks a mill noblestee, phone is still on, thankfully. Does anyone have an n95 that the could test something for me?

Firstly, can you try powering your phone off and just test it and confirm if it works or not, secondly could you try setting the alarm then take the battery out and put it back in and see if the alarm still comes on? Not sure if it resets or deletes the alarm when the battery comes out ?

Thanks a million in advance if anyone can try it for me.

Spy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

No way, forgot about that. Thanks a mill noblestee, phone is still on, thankfully. Does anyone have an n95 that the could test something for me?

Firstly, can you try powering your phone off and just test it and confirm if it works or not, secondly could you try setting the alarm then take the battery out and put it back in and see if the alarm still comes on? Not sure if it resets or deletes the alarm when the battery comes out ?

Thanks a million in advance if anyone can try it for me.

Spy

Ok did 3 tests...

1-Alarm set...Power off
    2-Alarm set...Power off...Remove and replace battery
    3-Alarm set...Remove and replace battery

All 3 = the phone came on at set time. I hit the left soft key on the alarm screen - 'Stop' and was then given the option 'Power Phone On?'. Hit yes and entered pin. No problems. I did the 3rd test just to see if the phone was powered down by accidently removing the battery without switching phone off first and it worked. In the last 2 though the battery was only removed for about 10-15 seconds and I wasnt asked to reset date or time afterwards. So if the battery comes out, i'd get it back in asap.

I suppose now you just have to find a balance between how many alarms do you want to set per day that wouldn't annoy you, but still have enough so that if it does die, you're not waiting too long for the next alarm.

noblestee wrote: »
    Ok did 3 tests...

1-Alarm set...Power off
    2-Alarm set...Power off...Remove and replace battery
    3-Alarm set...Remove and replace battery

All 3 = the phone came on at set time. I hit the left soft key on the alarm screen - 'Stop' and was then given the option 'Power Phone On?'. Hit yes and entered pin. No problems. I did the 3rd test just to see if the phone was powered down by accidently removing the battery without switching phone off first and it worked. In the last 2 though the battery was only removed for about 10-15 seconds and I wasnt asked to reset date or time afterwards. So if the battery comes out, i'd get it back in asap.

I suppose now you just have to find a balance between how many alarms do you want to set per day that wouldn't annoy you, but still have enough so that if it does die, you're not waiting too long for the next alarm.

Noblestee, you are actually a legend! seriously like!, thats perfect, cant thank you enough!

its only for a few weeks or so until i get it actually fixed.

Repeat alarm set for twice a day now. Batt will never be out of casing for more than a few secs if at all, so that'll do the job, thanks a mill

• Advertisement
Advertisement