Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overweight dog

Options
  • 28-12-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭

Our female Tibetan terrier is a little overweight. A friend advised that we change from the tinned supermarket food to the dry food ( as well as cutting back on the treats :o ). We tried this before and she did n't eat for three days. How long should we leave it, or is it a case that she'll eat when she's hungry enough ? Also, approximately, what would be the correct amount of dry food to give this type of dog ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Tinnned food often contains alot of sugar as colouring agant to turn the whole shebang brown. This alos affects the teeth of your dog. There is lots of dried food available but I would advise you to get a high quality one for small breeds (smaller kibble which is easier to eat for smaller dogs). Also check the protein level of the food, she doesn't need more than 18% protein. To begin with you can mix the tinned food with the dried food, this will make the transition easier for her. Alot of the smaller breeds are notoriously picky eaters so you will have to harden your heart in regards of treats. Cut them out completly until she is on the dried food altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,450 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Thanks for that EGAR !

My dog's new year's resolution starts today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You can also speak to a vet who can advise you on particular types of food for your dog. Of course, you want to speak to a vet who you trust, not one who's making money on bags of special dog food :)

The principles behind weight loss are no different for animals than they are for humans - simply controlling food intake and getting more exercise should result in a trim dog (and a trimmer you if you're the one talking her out for walks).

seamus wrote: »

The principles behind weight loss are no different for animals than they are for humans - simply controlling food intake and getting more exercise should result in a trim dog (and a trimmer you if you're the one talking her out for walks).

She gets two "walks" a day. Problem is she only wants to dawdle along, sniffing, :rolleyes: and I have to try and keep her on the move. We bring her to the beach or park as often as we can, where she can have a run. Even when off the lead though, she is a very laid back type of dog, and always has been so. She's still young at seven.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rigsby wrote: »
    She gets two "walks" a day. Problem is she only wants to dawdle along, sniffing, :rolleyes: and I have to try and keep her on the move. We bring her to the beach or park as often as we can, where she can have a run. Even when off the lead though, she is a very laid back type of dog, and always has been so. She's still young at seven.
    LOL. Sounds like my Westie, Holly. She does it (stops at every pillar, tree, lamp post) cos she can get away with it, when the rest of my family brings her for a walk. She has learnt that when I bring her for a walk, she gets to stop at two locations, and that's it. After a few walks, it's cool, she only stops at those locations. If she stops anywhere else, I call her name, and give a small tug on the lead. If she doesn't come then, she gets dragged away from the tree she's sniffing, and she'll then walk with me.

As for the food, we give Holly a cup full of "Beta" dog food, along with 2 teaspoons of Ceaser/etc. Spoilt dog won't eat it (the dry Beta dog food) without something nice. She's only a small dog, so that's enough for her.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that "the syco" . I think we are going to have to work on the "walks" aspect too. A whole new regime will have to be adopted.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Thanks for that "the syco" . I think we are going to have to work on the "walks" aspect too. A whole new regime will have to be adopted.

An update on this : Started the new walking routine today. Only stopped very seldom to let her sniff briefly. I think she started to get the message, half way through the walk. Did the walk in half the time. I was happy with the way it went.

When we got home she came over to me meekly for a rub down and I got that "have I done something wrong ?" look :D

In time I expect she'll regard this as the norm.

Off to the vet's now to pick up some dry food.

Thanks again for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sniffing around is an important part of the "walk" for the dog. Just dragging it along may be good for excercising the dog, but it does need some "sniff time" to be happy.

For real excercise I'd recommend a ballgame somewhere, so that the dog gets to run around and then you can take it easier on the walk and allow it to catch up with some of the local "news" :D

peasant wrote: »
    Sniffing around is an important part of the "walk" for the dog. Just dragging it along may be good for excercising the dog, but it does need some "sniff time" to be happy.

For real excercise I'd recommend a ballgame somewhere, so that the dog gets to run around and then you can take it easier on the walk and allow it to catch up with some of the local "news" :D

Yes, I know what you are saying is correct. Previously it was the other extreme when we went for a walk. It would take 15 minutes to walk 100 metres. :rolleyes: I'm fully aware that a dog needs to sniff , as that is how they "see" the world. :) At the moment I'm trying to strike a balance between dithering for ages, keeping up a reasonable walking pace, and giving her sniffing time.

As I said in an earlier post, she is a very laid back dog (always has been) and wont chase a ball, or will lose interest in it very fast. We let her off the lead when we can in the park ect so she can have a run and potter around unrestricted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭ODD-JOB

peasant wrote: »

Yeah , I agree.
    Walkiies for my lad were devoted to "his hour" and he used to choose what direction we walked and what tree/post we stopped at.

But as Rigsby gives his doggie park/beach time off the lead then thats great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement