Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jezza, Hamster and Captain Slow in 'nam

Options
  • 28-12-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

8 pm! Don't forget and if you do its on again 30 Dec 2008 19:45pm
    Top Gear ends the current series in epic style as Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May go to Vietnam and are told to travel the entire length of the country in just eight days, thereby achieving what the American military failed to do in ten years.

First they must each buy some suitable transport for the trip, but the several million dong they have in their pockets prove to be rather less money than they thought, especially in one of the most expensive car markets in the world.

Nonetheless, the boys are resourceful and, with the wheels eventually sorted, they set off on one of the most spectacular and incredible road trips Top Gear has ever attempted.

b00gfhsn_512_288.jpg

Should be a cracker, its followed by the The Real Italian Job: James Martin's Mille Miglia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Thanks....was just about to check the tv listings to see if it was on!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Forgot about this! Best put the tv on in the background just to make sure I don't forget :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Best one in ages, very funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Big anticlimax imo.. :(

Very good show tonight imo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I missed it, anyone know when it will be repeated ?

2qk4u wrote: »
    I missed it, anyone know when it will be repeated ?

Read the first post again.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Funny show tonight!
    LOL @ bike crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

What was with the names in the credits?

Forget what it was but it was something like " <something> Ford Clarkson, <something> Ford May" and then the same first and middle name for everyone in the crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

"Francis Ford" was before everyones names. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I think that had to be the best top gear in a long time, I was glued to the TV and laughing my socks off the entire time.

It made me want to go to Vietnam, buy a moped and drive from south to north!
    Anyone up for it???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 113 ✭✭Rob987

Caliden wrote: »
    What was with the names in the credits?

Forget what it was but it was something like " <something> Ford Clarkson, <something> Ford May" and then the same first and middle name for everyone in the crew.

Each name in the credits had the prefix "Francis Ford" before it, hence Francis Ford Clarkson, Francis Ford Hammond etc. Presumably a reference to Francis Ford Coppolla who directed Apocalypse Now. Which is an epic war movie shot on location in Vietnam.

I for one really enjoyed the episode. A very fitting end to the current season. Bring on Top Gear '09.

Kamili wrote: »
    I think that had to be the best top gear in a long time, I was glued to the TV and laughing my socks off the entire time.

It made me want to go to Vietnam, buy a moped and drive from south to north!
    Anyone up for it???

Pack your bags, i will collect you on the way to the airport in an hour!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bryn wrote: »
    Pack your bags, i will collect you on the way to the airport in an hour!!

We don't need bags, we can buy funky cashmere suits when we get there for nothing!

We don't need bags, we can buy funky cashmere suits when we get there for nothing!

Good thinking, i'll collect you in half an hour so :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

In other news.. I've just had the best half hour of my life watching JC hosting Never Mind the Buzzcocks... :D:D:D

He's fcuking hilarious!!!

SteveC wrote: »
    In other news.. I've just had the best half hour of my life watching JC hosting Never Mind the Buzzcocks... :D:D:D

He's fcuking hilarious!!!

Ah pooh I missed it!!! Anyone know when its on again?
    That guy is a Leg end...

That guy is a Leg end...
    Don't know.. I hope they repeat it, it was the best one ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That was a repeat, peeps may not have spotted it (it took me a while) but tonight was a sort of unofficial TG night. Its on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps_q-ZVa9JA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n70jj12CeDc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59odbALFJtI

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    That was a repeat, peeps may not have spotted it (it took me a while) but tonight was a sort of unofficial TG night. Its on youtube

Thanks Mike,
    I'm halfway through the second one and splitting my sides laughing :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Rob987 wrote: »
    Each name in the credits had the prefix "Francis Ford" before it, hence Francis Ford Clarkson, Francis Ford Hammond etc. Presumably a reference to Francis Ford Coppolla who directed Apocalypse Now. Which is an epic war movie shot on location in Vietnam.

Well to be precise it was shot on location in the Philippines, and was about a mission into the Cambodian jungle during the Vietnam War.

But back OT, the suits they were wearing on the bikes were spectacular, and I loved the "presents" they kept buying for each other. Most enjoyable TG in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

In a interview on BBC Radio 5 live a few weeks ago, Clarkson himself said that this was his favourite episode of Top Gear made to date.

I have to agree, it had me in stitches for the 75 minutes.

That guy is a Leg end...
    Found it..

Sorry for going off topic guys but it's worth watching :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,182 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

SteveC wrote: »

yeah - 3 posts up - must have been some search.... you tired?:D

yeah - 3 posts up - must have been some search.... you tired?:D
    :o
    aw nuts... I thought mike posted the TG show vids..

yes, I'm tired..:o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭JohnGalt

Great show, Clarkson was on fire

And in reference to the Francis Ford May etc thing, yes it refers to Apocalypse now of course but it seems to be a follow on from the Africa special where in the credits they were named Arch Bishop Desmond Hammond etc or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

Enjoyed it a lot too! Thought the Born In The USA bike was a going to be a bit too much, unlike the the cars for their US trip, which was most appropriate! :D Luckily they didn't rub it into the locals this time, instead they went local, which I thought was brilliant. I have driven a good few 2 stroke bikes for many years and they are great value for money - they last decades and will do between 40 to 80 kms per litre. All these US/Euro politicians going on about "pollution from emerging economies causing global warming" should sell their fancy cars and get one of these to get around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭positron

Did they didn't say what 15 million Vietnamese dongs means in real money?

15,000,000.00 VND =601.71502 EUR

1 VND = 0.0000401143 EUR
    1 EUR = 24,928.74 VND

I think they got scammed there buying their wheels! That Vespa for instance, couldn't be more than €200! Wouldn't pay more than €100 for James May's mopped. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Brilliant episode :D

lol @ Hammond fixing his ship then standing up into the ceiling fan :P

Advertisement