Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Health Centres

Options
  • 28-12-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I recently had an operation and have a wound that requires daily dressings. I go to my local health centre to get this done but I am staying in the UK for a few days next week and was wondering if anyone knew if I can attend a health centre over there to get the dressings done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I think in theory you need an EHIC (see http://www.hse.ie/eng/Find_a_Service/EHIC/About_EHIC.html), the replacement for the old E111 form, but in practice I've popped into places over there for minor things like that in the past when on holiday and have never been asked. Also, my wife broke her arm on holiday in Scotland once, and also was never asked for anything like that either. It might be because we're both English and have the 'right' accent, so they don't think to question me on my entitlement to treatment though :) Mostly though, I think they're just being realistic about it all .. for something minor like that, the paperwork would cost them more in time and effort than they could recoup. Don't try getting open heart surgery for free on the NHS though .. I think they'd cop on then!

It might be worthwhile trying to contact a health centre near where you are going to be and just asking them though to be on the safe side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pearser

Just back from the UK, had an amazing time!

For any of you who find yourself in a similar situation travelling to the UK, my advice is to source the closest "NHS Walk-In Centre". This is a free public health service provided by the NHS and I would have been lost without it.

Advertisement