Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punched at work

Options
  • 28-12-2008 4:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Im working in hotel and non residents are not allowed to get a drink in resident bar. Then on one night my collegue get punched by guy from outside because he didnt let him in to the hotel (to late). Now he is scared to work on his own. He is not able to work at night anymore. What should he do now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Has he spoken to his manager about it?

Under Section 8 of the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 the employer has a duty to ensure the employees’ safety, health and welfare at work as far as is reasonably practicable:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2005/en/act/pub/0010/sec0008.html#partii-chapi-sec8

There's not much your employer can do about random idiots doing random things, but definitely I would explore this area with your manager to see if door security or at least security cameras can be installed on the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

Taking a punch is one of the risks that comes with bar work.
    People get aggressive on drink and you sometimes need to handle yourself.
    What about self defence classes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

pauldiv wrote: »
    Taking a punch is one of the risks that comes with bar work.
    People get aggressive on drink and you sometimes need to handle yourself.
    What about self defence classes?

Gotta agree here, after years in the bars and a number of incidents i found you needed to be able to handle these situations as they will happen.

Also helps that i was a big lad that liked lifting weights in my own time and my colleagues were also handy.

The OP's colleague needs to deal with this and get back to work or find a different line of work.

Advertisement