Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trotter's Newbie Questions..

Options
  • 28-12-2008 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Instead of littering the forum with questions that any seasoned photographer will cringe at, I figured I'd start a thread where I can squirm and ask for help in a tidy way.

Im using a Nikon D60 with 2 lenses, an 18-55 and a 55-200. I got the camera about a month ago, and the 2nd lens this week.

First off, I took a photo with the camera yesterday of my other half sitting down at the table with her Mum standing behind her, hand on her shoulder. I couldn't figure out how to get both faces in full focus without going to the manual setting.

Taking it that my other half's Mum's head was say.. 30cm behind, I thought it'd be very easy to do. Although there isn't much difference, it is noticeable that the face closest to the camera is sharper.

How can I do this properly?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Was not this thread here already yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If you're not teaching little sh*ts, I'm about Waterford this week and could be convinced to get up off my arse and go shooting with you? Might be able to answer your questions then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

ThOnda wrote: »
    Was not this thread here already yesterday?

I asked the mod if I should just start a thread to throw in a lot of different questions so I don't have to start a new thread each time. I expect over the next few weeks, I'll have plenty of questions seen as Im just starting out and I don't want to annoy anyone by constantly starting new threads.

I had the question above on another thread, and got a few answers but I still can't manage it unfortunately.
    Fajitas! wrote: »
    If you're not teaching little sh*ts, I'm about Waterford this week and could be convinced to get up off my arse and go shooting with you? Might be able to answer your questions then.

Hehe I'm not back in work until the 7th so that could well be excellent if you didnt mind! I'll PM you tomorrow if thats alright! Thanks a lot!

Another question, Is setting up the camera to take some shots, say inside at a party, a case of taking a few test shots first, and then as experience kicks in, setting up the optimum settings?

I missed a load of opportunites in the last few days because it was taking me so long to get the settings right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Pretty much as you said for the parties, take a few test shots to see how the lighting is coming out, when you're happy, rock and roll from there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'll be around for a few days to shoot too. Mini meet ftw:pac:

• Advertisement

3163947812_596aefbbe4_o.jpg

3163119469_d4f7e6aa87_o.jpg

3163944942_a63b1a469b_o.jpg

3163081777_1cd4399096_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Trotter wrote: »
    First off, I took a photo with the camera yesterday of my other half sitting down at the table with her Mum standing behind her, hand on her shoulder. I couldn't figure out how to get both faces in full focus without going to the manual setting.

Taking it that my other half's Mum's head was say.. 30cm behind, I thought it'd be very easy to do. Although there isn't much difference, it is noticeable that the face closest to the camera is sharper.
    There's not much light around this time of year so your camera is probably using the widest aperture available to try to capture as much as possible. The side effect is that wider apertures mean you've little depth of field - especially if you're using the longer lens. Use the aperture priority setting to set a narrower aperture value (f8 should do it) to give you greater depth of field.

TJM wrote: »
    There's not much light around this time of year so your camera is probably using the widest aperture available to try to capture as much as possible. The side effect is that wider apertures mean you've little depth of field - especially if you're using the longer lens. Use the aperture priority setting to set a narrower aperture value (f8 should do it) to give you greater depth of field.

Does that also mean that my shutter speed will be slower, so I need to steady the camera better?

As in.. in A mode, the higher the f stop, the slower the shutter speed, the more the photo is prone to blur?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

That's right. Alternatively you can up the ISO to compensate or (better yet) turn on a few lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Trotter wrote: »
    Does that also mean that my shutter speed will be slower, so I need to steady the camera better?

As in.. in A mode, the higher the f stop, the slower the shutter speed, the more the photo is prone to blur?

Next purchase is a decent tripod and a flash gun, alternativly a stack of books to sit your camera on and a lamp :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Trotter: Are those shot at Mahon Falls?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stephen wrote: »
    Trotter: Are those shot at Mahon Falls?

I'd say they are

Advertisement