Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not j1 not a student

Options
  • 27-12-2008 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what to do if you want to go to the usa for a year or so. you are not a student and do not have j1 visa. Does one have to get a green card? if so, is that hard to get?
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

ok just tell me if you have to be a student to get a j1 visa??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

yes you need to be a student to get a j1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

pwd wrote: »
    yes you need to be a student to get a j1

No you don't.

I got my second J1 and I wasn't a student. Worked at a summer camp for a second summer. THey sorted out all the paper work, told me to apply for J1 as normal, it was approved and on I went to america

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Not really for Travel/Holidays.

Moving to living abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Rabies wrote: »
    No you don't.

I got my second J1 and I wasn't a student. Worked at a summer camp for a second summer. THey sorted out all the paper work, told me to apply for J1 as normal, it was approved and on I went to america
    I agree.

It is USIT that cause all the misinformation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 damo9

so if ive read these posts correctly u can get a j1 visa without being a student?:eek:
    I previously held a j1 visa in the past and would LOVE to go back, Is it only possible to do so by working for a summer camp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭GunScope

Not at all, get in touch with Usit for more info .... they wil take your money if they can :D

I have emailed USIT in the past and they have said YOU must be a student...

Very confused..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭GunScope

There are J1 Internship and Trainee programs, as well as the Camp Counsellor options ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

GunScope wrote: »
    There are J1 Internship and Trainee programs, as well as the Camp Counsellor options ...
    There is no need to be a student for any of those either, despite what USIT say.

• Advertisement

I have just been back onto the usit site and from i can see the options are as follows:
    1. J1 visa work and travel(student summer work and travel)
    2. 12 month visa(student or recent graduate-12months max)
    3. Internship programme( securing a sponser before u leave)

Im not a student,not a recent graduate and not interested in securing a sponser in a particular industry, so from i have seen i do not have any options to have a "working holiday" in an old j1 sense. I think this is what the initial poster(s) had in mind...correct me if im wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

here are the requiremtents for the new 12 month visa according to the usit website

* You must be a citizen of Ireland
    * You must be a current student or recent graduate (within 12 months of graduation)
    * You must attend/ have attended a recognised 3rd level institution in Ireland and obtained a minimum of a degree qualification in your field of study

• Registered Users Posts: 15 EoinG

Bumping this...

So is there any clarification as regards eligibility of non-students for the J1 summer visa? Having looked at Usit, Go4less and Sayit, it seems you most certainly have to be enrolled in a full-time third level course. But I don't want to believe it!!! Can the people who claim otherwise give more details??

The 12-month visa is an internship programme, it doesn't operate like a working holiday visa. I wouldn't risk heading over the states now looking for an internship with all the global uncertainty... Especially not looking for an internship in psychology!

Advertisement