Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

REDUNDANCY RIGHTS

Options
  • 27-12-2008 8:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

I have been in full time employment, 5 days (40hrs per week) for 4yrs 7mths. I have been informed that I am being put on a three day week.

I am wondering if anybody knows if I will be entitled to any form of redundancy payment & also if I will be entitled to any social welfare.

Regarding social welfare, I am single with no children, still living at home with my parents.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

you are not entitled to any redundancy however the fact that your company has put you on a 3 day week allows you to claim some social wefare dont know what or how much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 slimboy fat

If I am made redundant, while on a three day week, will my redundancy entitlements be affected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

i think you can claim for the 2 days you are missing from work from social wefare

also i think redundancy is based off what you get paid for a full week of work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

If I am made redundant, while on a three day week, will my redundancy entitlements be affected?

considering your length of service you have given you would have to work a lot of 3 day weeks to make any real impact on your redundancy.

check with your union or citizens advice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd check with a union because as I recall redundancy is paid on your CURRENT weekly salary, not an average over time. This would mean that your redundancy would be impacted in sense of the amount you'd get calculated if let go. Worth keeping in mind is that the over all redundancy is capped at 600(?) Euro a week so if you still make more then the capped amount in your three day a week set up it does not matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

You need to be working there for 2 years before you are entitled to redundancy. However if you are moving to a 3 day week - you can claim for I think 3 days from social welfare? Definitely 2 anyway but I think I read 3 somewhere (something about them counting Saturday as a working day)

Advertisement