Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 day old photographer - C&C

Options
  • 27-12-2008 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

So I took delivery of my first DSLR on Christmas Day and went off for a little stroll around the park today to try it out. I have two photos that I am very happy with after some playing in Aperture, but would interested to hear your thoughts on them, positive or negative.

1. 3141686836_4f9bdc1c50.jpg

2. 3141680924_654cb8e097.jpg

Also, I'm not sure if I have linked to these correctly in Flickr either, so let me know if I've made a balls of it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

1st is overexposed, sky blownout, 2nd is very nice. Best of luck with your new camera

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Pivot_Al

The composition in the first is a bit cluttered. Try and keep things simple.Your 2nd shot is much better because you did just that. Good luck with your camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

You have the whole composition idea down anyway! Time to work on it!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Jaysis, take it easy on the new guy!

OP, you're off to a good start, the trick with photography, especially with the advent of digital, and the ease of seeing your results straight away, is to take loads of photos. See what works for you and what you like before trying to please the crowd :p

So one of the first things to look at (Before exposure anyways) is the content, and it's relationship to the composition. When you're starting out, there are some rules that are handy to keep in the back of your mind, they've been developed over a long long time, and while not always relevant, it's handier to know about them when breaking them than not. Check out the Rule Of Thirds and the Golden Rule, they are pretty much guides to help you position the main focal point in your photograph.

You did quite well in the two above in getting the photo seperated into thirds, but in the second, you could have given the tree a bit more room in the photograph.

Another handy tip is to look at the scene from alternate angles, getting down low, even until the camera is on the ground, you can completely change the whole scene, give it a go!

Happy shooting!

Take plenty more, and be sure to post 'em up.

It's handy to join a site like www.pix.ie or www.flickr.com aswell, you can make contacts in your area and find some great shots for shooting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Good on you for posting & welcome to the forum.

With Landscape Photography it's really hard to get it right. I do not have the patience for it & so don't have any good Landscape Photos. So you have chosen a hard subject for your first C&C

As others have said, the second shot is preferable to the first as the exposure & composition are both better. The good thing is that learning to improve is a lot of fun.

Good luck & look forward to you posting more images.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Pat on the back for getting these after just 2 days.

I really love the sky in the second one, if you were at it longer I would suggest pp but since you are only on your second day I would suggest taking pictures of anything, never mind composition just yet as the most important thing is to get used to your camera and your settings. When you fully understand the effects of apereture and speed then you will enter another league, as the composition of the second shots shows you already have the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Thanks for all the great feedback guys, with the first photo I was really trying to get the footpath as I thought it looked mysterious and liked the way it led into a slightly overgrown section of the wood. I'm delighted (in a weird way) to hear that the sky is overexposed so at least now I have taken a look at the settings I shot it at and will adjust in future.

I'm over the moon with the second shot. It came out really nicely, I took about five of that scene from different angles and at different settings but that one is the only one that came out well. I ended up lying on my belly to take that shot (so was about 3 feet off the ground :D) and got pretty dirty in the process but it was worth it, the sky just gets me every time in that pic.

Will report back in a few days when I have more shots, was shooting down on the strand at Sandymount today and got a couple that I liked. Was gutted that I had the wrong lens on when a lady came by with a Red Setter bounding through the water, I could see all these brilliant shots disappearing!

Thanks again guys, really appreciated.

Advertisement