Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Don't know where to start....

Options
  • 27-12-2008 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

ok, i've decided enough is enough, i NEED to get driving properly once and for all. i have a car i don't use just sitting there, but i need to get going. have my provisional.

did a few lessons in may and had started driving a little bit on my own, but then the new laws came in about not being able to drive on your own and i kinda just let it slip and gave up.

so what i want to know is, what is the best way to get started cause im not really sure. im thinking just apply for my test and then book 6/7 lessons but id love to hear peoples opinions on what they would advise? i've always been fairly nervous driving, and i don't think its helping when i go out with my dad.

is 6/7 lessons enough? is it enough to do lessons in the build up to the test or do i really need to be going out loads myself? what would people suggest to get me driving once and for all?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Going out with your dad is probably a bad idea, it was for me anyway.Sure he can drive fine, but he doesnt have a clue how to teach or explain stuff, because it comes natural to him after years of driving.

You've had a few lessons already, so that should set you up good for whats ahead.I would apply for the test asap and take as many lessons as you think you will need, after 5 lessons with a good instructor you willl have a good idea where you are at and what you need to improve on.

I haven't heard of anyone being fined by the guardai for driving unaccompanied, its not ideal but I think you should do a bit of practice by yourself when you have the time.Go to an estate on a quiet morning ( or even today ) and practive reversing around a car, turning the car in the oppisite direction, starting and going, reversing into a parking space in a quiet car park, anything to make you feel more comfortable behind the wheel.Its not a hard test, its just practice practice practice and a bit of confidence.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

There is strictly no advocating others to break the law on this forum so i suggest people have read of the charter before posting.
    Now, as said above, i wouldn't advise taking spins with your Dad over real instruction with a qualified instructor, There is no substitute for lessons at the end of the day, especially if you say you're a little nervous behind the wheel. If the spins are in conjunction with lessons then they'd be fine. As for how many you will need, that will depend on how you progress and your confidence. Perhaps booking 5 lessons and seeing how you are after them would be a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Start with lessons, you cant really put a number on how many you need at the start, you should try to get an instructor who comes recommended, and he/she will tell you when your ready to take the test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement