Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

trouble with a tdi...any help welcomed

Options
  • 27-12-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

hey guys....i'll try keep this short.
    bought a '01 audi 1.9 tdi approx 5 months ago.4 times so far its been off the road.what happens is it loses power and cuts out,while spitting out a lot of grey/black smoke.lights,radio etc still work but when i turn the key it'll run for about 5 seconds and same thing happens.its been brought to an audi garage twice now but they cant find anythin wrong with it.they charge it up and it runs fine for a few weeks then i'm back to square one.
    i'd appreciate anyone who might know anything about these things to steer me in the right direction cos as you can imagine i'm getting pretty p****d off at this stage!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

marble wrote: »
    hey guys....i'll try keep this short.
    bought a '01 audi 1.9 tdi approx 5 months ago.4 times so far its been off the road.what happens is it loses power and cuts out,while spitting out a lot of grey/black smoke.lights,radio etc still work but when i turn the key it'll run for about 5 seconds and same thing happens.its been brought to an audi garage twice now but they cant find anythin wrong with it.they charge it up and it runs fine for a few weeks then i'm back to square one.
    i'd appreciate anyone who might know anything about these things to steer me in the right direction cos as you can imagine i'm getting pretty p****d off at this stage!

What exactly are Audi doing to it which you''ve described above as "they charge it up"???

Obviously there is a problem with the car and they are doing something to it to resolve the problem for a short period of time. If it loses power, cuts out and you start seeing loads of smoke, I'd suggest:

Diesel injector problem.

Turbo going/gone.

Worst case scenario, combustion chamber containment problem, causing excess oil consumption. This can sometimes be caused by a dodgy fuel injector...

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭marble

Darragh29 wrote: »
    What exactly are Audi doing to it which you''ve described above as "they charge it up"???

they claim to charge the battery...i asked if i get a new battery would it work.i was told no.apparently its not the injectors either...

marble wrote: »
    Darragh29 wrote: »

they claim to charge the battery...i asked if i get a new battery would it work.i was told no.apparently its not the injectors either...

Sounds like they haven't got their head around the problem. How often is this happening, the excess smoke??? It's hard to see how a battery can be the cause of this problem you're having to be honest....

Tell me this OP. Does this problem happen more when the engine is warm than when it is cold??? If it does, I suggest getting a compression test done on the engine across all cylinders. I've seen this happening before on an Audi A6, everything was fine when cold but when hot, the oil gets thinner and this guy was getting his diesel from some dodgy fuel station and he had one diesel injector that was not spraying the correct pattern, it was squirting fuel down the cylinder wall and caused accelerated wear on this particular cylinder. When the engine heated up, the oil in the sump could get up past the piston oil seal and you'd get this intermittant problem with massive amounts of smoke, if you were driving the car down the road when this happened, you couldn't see the car behind you, it was actually dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭D20903

A bit OT here - Daragh 29, how was the problem with the Audi A6 described above diagnosed?

I'm really interested in hearing about the injector spraying to an incorrect pattern bit.......

• Advertisement
Advertisement