Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lilies/Macro C&C Appreciated

Options
  • 27-12-2008 1:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Don't know if this link works or not (or how to link) but I was experimenting today with macro and a lily, trying to tell a story - showing the entire lily and then working through to the very centre. Have them sequenced on my laptop but couldn't do it on pix.ie. Any C&C would be very welcome. Thanks.

6A5D4AF2177C40AF8B6E3404A4702F9D-500.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

http://pix.ie/ainenic/783320/size/800

You're allowed this size pic linked.
    It's the next size up on your pix.
    Looking at them now.

/edit
    had a quick look and I'm no Macro expert, others will do a better c and c
    I would've used spot metering on most of the pictures and they could be maybe sharper, also more punch/vibrancy.
    I do love the actual compositions.
    thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Link to your Pixie?

The photo is a link. Durpee dur :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

You know what I meant, I was looking forward to your C & C when I seen your name as a reply.
    I am not sure wether my C & C is correct, it's so interesting wondering wether a C & C is correct lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Well the colour is a bit flat to me, I would adjust the curves a bit for more vibrancy. I think AR is pretty much hitting the nail on the head though, the bokeh in the background is lovely but I would have liked to have the whole of the open lilly in focus.

There is a rule of dof I learnt before and someone can correct me if I'm misquoting here but as far as I remember when you focus on something 1/3 in front of the spot you focus on will be in focus and 2/3 behind so in order to get the lilly more in focus (I love lillies) I would focus on the furthest orangey bit, yes I said it but you know what I mean, I think you focused on the centre green one here by the looks of it but had you focused on one behind the centre would still be in focus and most likely so would the petal behind.

Seriously guys if I'm wrong say so but this is just how I learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Colours are quite flat, needs more contrast and a levels. There's no true white in the image as far as I can see. Also the set of images are all quite similar. I think trying to vary them more would work better.. There's maybe 2 really different shots in the whole bunch.

I'd have a look at trying to light the subject better, because there seems to be shadowing in the centre of the flower and the subject in general is quite dark.

Also there's not really a low enough f-stop to create a nice bokeh in some of the pictures. May just be better leaving it in focus. As it is, it's more distracting than pleasing and positive in the picture. Also the dark out of focus leaves draw the eye away from the focus and main subject.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Its definately a lighting issue. Because there's a lot of white in the images (white reflects more light than other colours), i'd say the camera is underexposing to an 18% neutral grey. Experiment with over exposing by 2/3 of a stop or so to compensate. You should get more realistic whites and a brighter image.

Try and concentrate on the focus point. The best way to do this is to put the lense into manual mode and move the camera in or out till you get the desired position and shoot. With longer shutter speeds you will need to use a tripod and a macro focusing rail. If you have a flash then you should use it. Experiment with different lighting angles and diffuse the light if you can.

Hope this helps

Dave OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ainenic

Thanks to you all for your comments. They are very helpful and appreciated. I'll have another go at it.

Advertisement