Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City photo break

Options
  • 26-12-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭

Hello Folks, looking for a bit of advice or Info. My good wife has suggested I go on a short photo trip to a European city for a photo break. (I thought it was April 1st) but considering we had a tough year last year with family beaverments etc she thought I would enoy a few nights away. So she came up with Prague, Rome, Vienna, Paris or Munich. Going in late March for 3/4 nights. Will cost abt 300. :)
    Has anyone visited these cities before? What are they like? Safe? Expensive? Attractions? Or is there another city I should consider. Anyone like to go? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

We were toying with the idea this time last year or a bit later that we do a European city break.

Hmmm time to put up the suggestion again :)

Munich is very safe, and has some interesting buildings. However I doubt it would have the same level of architecture as say Rome or Prague.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Norwich and surrounds.

Biased opinion I know but there's so much to do around there. A church for every week of the year and a pub for every day of the year. Norfolk broads, Hunstanton, Yarmouth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Prague, if you like Architecture, especially historical.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can I ask where you're booking this? 300 for a few nights sounds like a sweet deal!!

I'd definitely pick Prague or Rome personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Culann

I can only recommend Paris, as it is the only one on the list I've spent time in. Paris is relatively safe, has a great metro system, good food and seems cheap compared to Dublin. There is also plenty to keep you busy, and your wife if she goes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

No way is Paris cheap!!
    Being there twice and not a fan of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Can I ask where you're booking this? 300 for a few nights sounds like a sweet deal!!

I'd definitely pick Prague or Rome personally.
    Thanks for replies. Flights with Aer Lingus and Hotel in Prague is 4 star and Rome is 3star. I am not a very experienced traveller but from what I have read on net Prague is winning, from Rome. Have to research Vienna. No wife staying home. Jeasus she is great:) Fantastic:) Yes dear supper on the way:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I just checked out ryanair.

Depending the days you choose, you can get to prague for 40 euro, I also found a boat hotel for 40 euro for two nights.

So, 80 euro for 2 nights in prague..... so. tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

Hitting prague in May haven't checked flights...But booking this place
    Apartments andel. On Booking.com 3 nts €195 apartment with kitchenette, in the city.

Another airline/website l heard was cheaper than Ryan air!....Click4sky.
    Try it
    Linda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thanks Linda, cant log on to that. If you have another link I would like to check it out. Happy enough with Aer Lingus price. The Hotel I have earmrked seems quite good, is B&B rates and is in city centre. The city appears quite small, compact and I have heard good reports. If I can manage to figure out how to post link will get it up tomorrow. Thanks Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Daz R1

Have been to Prague twice ,both times were on stags so lets just say there wasnt much of the "normal" site seeing ;) ,but what i did see of it I'll agree witht he rest ,the architecture is defo worth a look night life is pretty good but even tho I was in a crowd of guys I didnt feel that safe walking around at night especially in the old square ,my friend caught a girl "dipping" his pocket as her other friend distracted him ,when he confronted them a gang of lads appeared out of no where ,I defo wudnt bring my better half there on a hol ,

Again Paris was visited twice by my fiance and she didnt like it at all , Ive been to Venice for a week but would advise only going there for a long w-end.
    Id be more interested in Munich or Rome or even head further south of rome down to Lake Garda ,the folks in law have just come back form there and said it was amazing.

Hope that helps ,and post the pics from wherever you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭l pearse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

been to prague, rome,and paris. love them all. beautiful places although I wasn't there on photo expditions.

I had no issues with security in any of the three though if you do your homework you'll find the square in prague is notorious for pick pockets as are parts of Rome, as are parts of Paris. Sometimes you may be unlucky but I think just keep your senses about you.

you can't go wrong with any of the three mentioned - loads of photo opportunities. if I could only go to one ever again to photograph it, I would probably pick Prague. But I do hope to visit all of them again!

photo trips can be good in company. there was talk of a boards foreign trip which may be worth while keeping an eye out for. prague was mentioned too

good luck with the trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Personally, I'd be heading to Prague or Paris, both are great places.

They're all as safe or as dodgy as you let them be - Common sense prevails! Don't be wandering off back alley's at night, and so on.

Paris can be pricey, but you can work it on the cheap too. Prague was quite cheap when I was there last, but I believe it's gotten a bit pricier of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Rome is the only one I haven't been to.
    All of them have so many beautiful things to see, if you're into architecture?

I hadn't done any research before I went to Vienna, so I just get a bus tour, which was great as it brought you up the the palace and around the city.

Advertisement