Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would this pass the NCT?

Options
  • 26-12-2008 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

The wing on a peugeot 206 that got knocked in slightly about a cenimetre and come undone a tiny bit at the corner near the door?

costs 550 quid to fix incl new panel and labour but not sure if i should bother ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

afaik the rule of thumb for the test is if the bodywork damge ie the dent or whatever isnt/is a safety issue as in could somebody say walking by the car catch themselfs in the damaged area and cut themselfs of it.
    Dents and stuff that are indented usually pass because they are not a danger concern,but i think you are saying more that yours is torn/ripped,if so could be a possible failure.
    However the testers are so inconsistent you never know,it will depend on how they are going for fails on the day (they have there quotas aswell you know)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

If your car were to fail for this body damage, wouldn't the re-test be visual and therefore free ?

I'd test it as is, and take your chances. It won't cost you anything. If the tester is a decent sort (eg. the ones here in Limerick generally are in fairness) then he can probably advise you on the minimum work necessary to pass. With the caveat that I havn't seen the damage, I'd be surprised if it cost 550 to repair to get a pass - remember it doesn't have to be cosmetically perfect, just safe.

For example, when welding over rust damage, they prefer if the repair is not finished with isopon and painted - if the welding is visible they can see better that it has been done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

thanks guys I was leaning towards just firing it through and hoping for the best, ye I am sure i can get a pass for less than 550 so good advice cheers :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Fix it yourself!

big_hammer.jpg

My mates bumper fell off on the way to the NCT on a speedramp last year (98 Clio). Automatic fail. They made him pay the retest fee 30mins and a roll of duck tape later. Passed no bother!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Is it possible to drilll a hole and bolt it on or use a self tapping screw to hold it?
    My old transit had self tappers holding her together for years!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement