Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best spots for landscapes in Dublin and surrounding counties?

Options
  • 26-12-2008 9:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

So I've ordered myself a nice tripod and when I get it I'll be looking to do some good landscape shots.

Does anyone have any favourite locations? By surrounding counties I'd prefer the south rather than the north:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

How about Killiney Hill for a start?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Interesting thread, now I have a FF camera I really should start doing some Landscape shots...

Having a wee bit of a problem with the tripod I use, it was originally for a video camera and I got it as a hand me down, well when I tried it the last few times the cam just seems not er level, its not an expensive one so maybe I need to invest...what price am I looking at, a mid range one...
    Hope I'm not hijacking thread OP. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Interesting thread, now I have a FF camera I really should start doing some Landscape shots...

Having a wee bit of a problem with the tripod I use, it was originally for a video camera and I got it as a hand me down, well when I tried it the last few times the cam just seems not er level, its not an expensive one so maybe I need to invest...what price am I looking at, a mid range one...
    Hope I'm not hijacking thread OP. :)
    I bought the following... http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/?sku=1023104

It's pretty cheap (all I can afford!), it's on sale and it has good reviews, it's max height is above average for it's cost (most of the others I checked out in the same price range were a lot smaller, I'm tall so this was important to me) and most of all it's max load capacity is 7kg, again most others in the same price range were only 1-2kg, so personally, I think it's a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

For dublin try walking up three rock (or ticknock) hill, it's the one to the south with all the aerials on it, you get a view out over the city and bay to the north

qwertz wrote: »
    How about Killiney Hill for a start?
    Good call.

I suppose we're very lucky being on the east coast, sunrises galore! I drive to work as the sun rises and I have to say some of the skies I've seen have been absolutely breathtaking. Would love to get a shot from something other than from my camera phone!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

So I've ordered myself a nice tripod and when I get it I'll be looking to do some good landscape shots.

Does anyone have any favourite locations? By surrounding counties I'd prefer the south rather than the north:)

Wicklow has probably a photographer's lifetime worth of locations, but you have to work to get to some of them, trekking pays.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Easy ones are Phoenix Park, Glendalough, Blessington, Killiney. I'm not big on landscape, hubbie gets more taken back by scenery than I do so I just let him go somewhere and I'll take the camera. I shot a wedding in the Botanic Gardens and it was lovely there.

On the tripod, I bought mine in argos :o:o:o hasnt failed me yet though although I don't leave the camera to sit on it alone when outside, it has a hook underneath also so you can weigh it down by hanging your bag underneath.

Hugh_C wrote: »
    Wicklow has probably a photographer's lifetime worth of locations, but you have to work to get to some of them, trekking pays.

Some superb shots there Hugh.

I'm guessing it's not a good idea do some of those hikes pre sunrise or post sunset?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Some superb shots there Hugh.

I'm guessing it's not a good idea do some of those hikes pre sunrise or post sunset?

no problem if you have the right kit

Advertisement