Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you have ....

Options
  • 26-12-2008 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

a family tree??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

have been working on one, have one going back to my great great great grandad on my family name, has about 7 generations in total, and one for my mothers name, going back as far as great great grandad, not all the desendents i have worked out, but so far includs over 350 individuals between both familys

all my fathers side sourced from his mother, on my mums side, from her mother and a neighbour

next step might be to check out the national archives in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

and also how did you find a record?

I'm thinkin startin one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

a family tree??

No, I'm unique. :)

and also how did you find a record?

I'm thinkin startin one soon.

not sure what you mean, do you mean an individual name, like i siad, all so far sourced from family

once you have enough info, like name, approx year of birth, townland info, children or spouce, then i think you can check out the national archives, unfortunatly though there is no complete cenus results for before 1901, before that they are partial records

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

have been working on one, have one going back to my great great great grandad on my family name, has about 7 generations in total, and one for my mothers name, going back as far as great great grandad, not all the desendents i have worked out, but so far includs over 350 individuals between both familys

all my fathers side sourced from his mother, on my mums side, from her mother and a neighbour

next step might be to check out the national archives in dublin

Dont think you'll be able to go anyfurther back than 7 generations! But you might find other relatives that you dont know of, like gret great aunties etc. Most Irish people cant get further than 4-5 generations

Tableman wrote: »
    Dont think you'll be able to go anyfurther back than 7 generations! But you might find other relatives that you dont know of, like gret great aunties etc. Most Irish people cant get further than 4-5 generations

would't have thought so my self, considering as no cenus records prior to 1901, only local surveys and partial records, have gone back 5 generations, plus have the next generation after mine, ie, cousins kids, like you say, it would be great great aunts/uncles id be missing, and their decendents,

aunts/uncles and grand aunts/uncles, would have all their decidents,

great grand aunts/uncles, would have most of their names, and decendents for some

great great grand aunts uncles, have names for two i know of, but no details on decendents

glad to know what i all have have found out on my family name side (thanks gran), but would maybe like to get those missing names, dates and maybe even occupations,

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

hey! i've been doing serious family tree work for the past year. I'm up to 800 people! Got the great great great great grandfather on the Hughes side and on the Hackett side. The gg grandfather on the McCarr side and great grandfather on the Murphy side (all my mother's ancestors).

The national archives is a great resource, but I highly suggest getting there early and grabbing a seat for yourself at the micro film machines connected to printers. It can get very busy! There is a locker room downstairs so you keep all your stuff down there while you go up. It would save you time if you have an approximate address to search (you can locate the record reference number for a certain street in Dublin, or townland if outside of Dublin, which would cut hours off your search). You will be offered advice on your first visit to get you started. :) If you have any Qs for me on the Archives, ask! I've been a handful of times.

The 1911 and 1901 census is bring put online (you probably know this) and you can view Dublin, Antrim, Kerry and Down 1911 returns now. The rest are due up eventually. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ I did do a lot of head recking hours in the Archives and am happy now to wait and search the digitalised archives for Offaly. Less stressful!

Once you have approximate dates and possibly names which aren't too common then I highly recommend visiting the GRO to obtain some certificates (birth/marriage/death), though it will cost you. Birth certs (for instance) are great for giving you father's names and their occupations, as well as the man and wife's occupations and everyone's current address.

Happy hunting!

The national archives is a great resource, but I highly suggest getting there early and grabbing a seat for yourself at the micro film machines connected to printers. It can get very busy! There is a locker room downstairs so you keep all your stuff down there while you go up. It would save you time if you have an approximate address to search (you can locate the record reference number for a certain street in Dublin, or townland if outside of Dublin, which would cut hours off your search). You will be offered advice on your first visit to get you started. :) If you have any Qs for me on the Archives, ask! I've been a handful of times.......

cheers, been doing some reding up on this place, and they seem quite strict on what you can and cant bring in, am i correct in reading you can bring in laptops, have all on there on a family tree program, and a load of hand written notes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, laptops are grand. They have plenty of pencils there if you forget. A4 pad and a pencil was my equipment :) I left my phone down stairs in the locker and was very surprised to see a guy take a call in the reading room - the disgust in everyone's faces! A quiet place of research indeed! Anyhow, there is a guy at the entrance downstairs and he'll get you signed up and tell you what to do. Lovely building. I didn't realise it was the Jacob's biscuit factory (has the inscription outside on the main wall)! Just rememer proof of ID.

• Advertisement
Advertisement