Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help - Need Advice Quickly!

Options
  • 26-12-2008 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭

I need some advice guys, and pretty fast as I'm currently in a spot of bother (to say the least)!

I was out on Tuesday night and my jacket was stolen. First time this has happened, and of course the one time it was to happen, I had my car keys and my work phone in it.

Here's my problem: My spare set of keys don't work, and my car is parked close to where I work (5 miles from my house) as I had left it there on Tuesday because we went for a few drinks at 2 o'clock.

The car also has an alarm key which was on the set in my jacket, so even if the spare worked, it would probably trigger the car alarm.

So what are my options??

I'm sh1tting it that if something were to happen my car in the meantime, the insurance wouldn't pay up because of the above details!

Should I get it towed/lifted somewhere? What can I do about the car key/alarm key??

Any advice appreciated lads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

1. Pick a time that suits.
    2. Call the alarm company.
    3. Call a car locksmith.
    4. Meet 2 and 3 @ 1 at the car
    5. If you want take it to a dealer and pay an inordinate amount of money to have the immobiliser recoded and all locks refitted with the same lock sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What make / model of car? Is it an oem alarm?

Will the alarm immobilise the engine?

When you say your spare keys do not work, what do you mean?? will they start the car?

Even if you can't get the car going, i'd be going down and taking out the battery or something else critical for it running...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

The spare key doesn't open the door.

Not that there is ever a good time for something like this to happen, but this really couldn't have happened at a worse time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Fizman, what kind of car is it?
    You need to disable it pronto. Maybe letting the air out of 2 tyres is a start seeing as you can't gain access to the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

ring a tow company and explain the situation to them and meet them at the car. bring your driving licence and the registration cert for the car to prove that you own it. get it taken to either your house or somewhere that you know it'll be safe. get onto the main dealer and order a new key by the chassis number. you'll prob be without the car for a while though, until the garage gets the new key and can code it. they might need the car to code it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

I am guessing the fob on the missing key opened the central locking, and you didnt ever have to put key in lock to open doors?
    If this is right, then maybe the lock is just stiff and some wd40 will free it out, and your spare will open it then.

You need to report the theft to the guards and your insurance in case the car goes missing!

Get the car recovered somewhere secure

What car is it?

JackFrosty wrote: »
    I am guessing the fob on the missing key opened the central locking, and you didnt ever have to put key in lock to open doors?

This is correct.

Seeing as it is not only Friday night, but St Stephens nght as well, i'm pretty much resigned to the fact that at best it will be tomorrow afternoon before I do anything.

I'd rather not say what make/model etc lads, for obvious reasons.

The alarm is after-market. Although I am not sure of who/what company. I may have to ring the dealer who I purchased it off to find out (and they may not even have those details).

I'm guessing that I could get the alarm disabled.

Do you think I should ring the guards and insurance tonight, explaining my situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Fizman wrote: »
    Do you think I should ring the guards and insurance tonight, explaining my situation?

not unless you really have too, esp in the case of the insurance co.

not unless you really have too, esp in the case of the insurance co.

Ya I think I may leave all of that until tomorrow. In the morning I think I will ring my mechanic, he may have some good contacts who may be available over the weekend re the locks/alarm.

I'm guessing towing would be a problem because of handbrake, alarm,etc.

Advertisement