Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

no tax on 2nd hand car

Options
  • 26-12-2008 5:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

hi im buying a second car with the tax just out and looking to drive it home 50 mins drive and im wondering what will the guards do if pulled over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The same thing that would happen to anyone else who drives without tax.

You cannot drive the can unless it is taxed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 roverseire

is that the answer to the question i posted you dope?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

They could do this. (guy filmed the gardai taking his car)

If they do, come on here and start a garda bashing thread about revenue generating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

it all depends on what mood the guard is in when he pulls you over, i think u have up to 10 days to produce it at a barracks, idealy u should have a trailer with you to tow the car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

roverseire wrote: »

To be fair it is a fairly succinct and correct answer. You will likely be asked to produce. Not a lot of need to name-call the poster trying to help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

well i had same problem m8, i was buying car with no nct and no tax. So thats what i did:

1. I booked mine car for nct ( readt or not, just did it). Printed the papers to show garda.
    2. Me and owner of car went to tax office, and while we filled in the ownership details, i bought tax on his name. So even if i would have been stoped and got garda in bad mood. I would bring the proof in 10days. I did had tax, just did not had disk to prove it.

I did drove with car untill i got mine tax disc and nct. I wasnt stoped by garda thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

I was going to post a potential solution to your question but if this is your attitude in your second post here on boards, the first having been a question, then you know where you can go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If the tax is out less than a month I think you can drive it, legally, as long as you have the tax form from the guy you bought it off that says "application is made prior to or during December 2008". That said, think it's him that would have to apply for it.

OT: OP, you are way out of line above - post reported for personal abuse tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Chief--- wrote: »
    They could do this. (guy filmed the gardai taking his car)
    Yes but that chap was a super a$$hole who should have had his right to drive a car revoked permanently, to quote his youtube post
    from claregalway for speeding had 4 bald tyres,no tax,no back breaks and led them on a 6mile chase

You cannot tax a car yourself until you actually own it, get the seller to right you a receipt and date it, then carry this with you at all times, if the seller tries taxing it they will be liable for all due tax. I'd imagine within 10 days you will get the VLC back in your name and you can then tax it. As the new owner you would only be liable for the month you purchase it in even if that car has been untaxed for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Yes that is the answer to the question you posted. You cannot drive a car without DISPLAYING a current tax disc, whether it has been paid for or not.

The offence is non DISPLAY, driving without tax is a separate offence. It is up to the DRIVER and not the owner to ensure a vehicle is taxed before driving it on a public road.

As someone who signed up just to ask the question, take the answers you are given. Now cop on and take it easy and get the owner to tax it before you buy. You can get a disc on the spot in a tax office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

go on the mayo :)

i bought a 2nd hand car start of the week, NCT was up to date, had paid for insurance on it (but forgot to display it - had it in my car though). and tax was out.
    the dealer put in a little sign saying that the car was just sold and said it would be fine.
    Im getting the documents sent out to me next week so the car will be in my name, then ill go insure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,898 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You sign up for boards.ie, ask a question and get an answer within minutes. And this is how you reply?

You have an attitude issue that you'll need to control, otherwise we don't want your posts in this forum any more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    If the tax is out less than a month I think you can drive it, legally, as long as you have the tax form from the guy you bought it off that says "application is made prior to or during December 2008". That said, think it's him that would have to apply for it.

Incorrect, no car may be on the road without displaying a valid tax disc. You are goiven sufficient time before expiry to tax the car for the next period.

Just like drink driving....there is NO excuse, but there's always some idiot in a blue uniform willing to let people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Dope?

Modedit
    <Insult removed>

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

thread closed

back to my lovely dinner

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement