Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit acting strange

Options
  • 26-12-2008 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi,

Just looking for some advice on my rabbit. I discovered him acting strange today. He's breathing is heavy and noisy, he seems very disoriented, dragging his legs and stumbling. He's very subdued, normally doesn't allow us to hold him but had no problem with that today. He is an outdoor rabbit and has full access to the garden. It is possible that a young dog may have done something to him as my sister has her dog down for christmas. I checked him over for external injuries but there's no sign of anything. Also, when I found him he had mud all aound his mouth. He's not eating or drinking. Obviously i'd bring to a vet but there is none open today.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

I went out one day to our outdoor rabbit, and he was also breathing heavily and was lying down. He wasn't usually one to handle either but we could move him no bother. He couldn't walk properly however, just seemed to fall over. Unfortunately with in afew hours he had died, and we put it down to him having a stroke. Is your rabbit drooling or anything like that? How old is he?

If I were you I'd get him straight to a vet to have him checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Hi OP,
    Is there any chance you could get him to a vet at all? It sounds quite serious.
    It's really unfortunate timing :(
    What age is he and do you know what breed of rabbit he is?
    Is there any chance he could have eaten something poisonous? Have you any new plants in the garden or anything?
    The symptoms of poisoning can be similar to those of a fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Sounds like a bout of Myxo to me. Gunky eyes as well?

Are his vaccinations up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Hi everyone, Co-owner of the rabbit here. Unfortunately he died a few hours ago before we could get him to the vet. Thanks for the replies. We're fairly sure the dog is responsible but have no proof... not a good atmosphere around the place! His vaccinations were up to date and we have ruled out most things. He was a year old, a mini lop. We brought him back from England with us back in April. A shítty Christmas present...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

daycent wrote: »
    Hi everyone, Co-owner of the rabbit here. Unfortunately he died a few hours ago before we could get him to the vet. Thanks for the replies. We're fairly sure the dog is responsible but have no proof... not a good atmosphere around the place! His vaccinations were up to date and we have ruled out most things. He was a year old, a mini lop. We brought him back from England with us back in April. A shítty Christmas present...

Sorry to hear about that :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭rhapsody!

daycent wrote: »

Aw I'm sorry to hear =[
    Very young aswell, if he was old you could've said it was old age but a year old is far too young. :(
    rip xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's so sad the poor thing, it could of been a couple of things but either way there are emergency vets (ok understand yesterday might of been hard to get one) so if anyones rabbit even appears ill do not delay and take the rabbit to the vet straight away.
    By the sounds of ops rabbit there may have been nothing the vet could do other than treat for shock and try to stabilise the rabbit before investigating further and the bun may of not made it through.

This is one of the dangers of allowing a rabbit to roam freely in the garden unsupervised, there's always a danger of a cat or dog or even a bird of prey (hawk used to hover over our previous rabbits run but ours were wired on the top). Giving a bun freedom is great but always under supervision.

Sorry about your bun though not a very merry christmas for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

Oh I'm so sorry about your rabbit. Rabbits do go down hill very fast, which is why it's important for them to see a vet as soon as the owner sees anything wrong with them. Though in your case I don't think anything could be done for it other then putting it to sleep. RIP little bun.:(

Advertisement