Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding ticket

Options
  • 26-12-2008 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I got a fine today for doing 75kph on the sean mulvoy road. I have no problem paying the fine. my question is on payment of this fine will i get penalty points?

If so i can say good bye to my work van

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Afraid so, 2 points are automatically added to your license.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Do you already have 10 points on your license?

If not, then why would you lose your work van?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

^Dont think so or he would be used to getting points :p

I say he needs a clean licence for work maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ah. I have been driving company vehicles for years now and I can tell you that most company car drivers have at least 2 points.

Now, Im lucky enough that I have 0 points.

An employer would never cut your employment because of 2 points. If you have an endorsement they probably would be a little upset but I doubt 2 points would be much of an issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've also never seen an employer or fleet policy that cares about 2 points - mine doesn't even care about 4, at 6 you have to pay an (apparently painfully expensive) surcharge though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

he could work as a speed control cop. if there is such a thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I got a letter the other day also saying I was doing 70 in a 50 zone on the Portlaoise Rd.

Very vague if you ask me. How do I go about getting more information about this? I always have my TomTom switched on and it informs me if I am doing over the limit so I am extremely wary of this. I'd like to know where exactly I was spotted so I can resolve it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I got a letter the other day also saying I was doing 70 in a 50 zone on the Portlaoise Rd.

Very vague if you ask me. How do I go about getting more information about this? I always have my TomTom switched on and it informs me if I am doing over the limit so I am extremely wary of this. I'd like to know where exactly I was spotted so I can resolve it

Just ask for a picture of the camera with the figures.
    If they don't have it and you are not sure you have been on this road this particular day, just say it was not you and you do not know who it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Perhaps the maps you're using have been superseded by local authority changes to posted limits.
    Since late November I've noticed on a few roads that I'd use every week or so, mainly in Meath, that limit signs have been changed downwards from 80 to 60/50kmph for considerable stretches...this wasn't necessarily a bad thing as the roads aren't great, but for anyone used to travelling them at the previous limit, it would be easy to get caught out, especially if you're relying on the satnav more than your own observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

mick.fr wrote: »
    Just ask for a picture of the camera with the figures.
    If they don't have it and you are not sure you have been on this road this particular day, just say it was not you and you do not know who it was.

there was a pic of my number plate on the letter

I know I was on this road on that day & time. Just don't believe I was speeding on it thats all and would like to have more info on exactly where it happened in case there is a change of limit or I missed a sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

there was a pic of my number plate on the letter

I know I was on this road on that day & time. Just don't believe I was speeding on it thats all and would like to have more info on exactly where it happened in case there is a change of limit or I missed a sign

Dont leave it too long to enquire - fine goes up after a certain period - if you are querying the circumstances it dosn't stop the fine hopping to next level if its not paid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

According to google maps, the Portlaoise road runs from Mountrath to the start of the M7. Is this where you think you were caught?
    IIRC, there is a 50 zone for a bit at the end of the motorway where the roadworks are (I could be wrong, maybe it's a 60), the only other 50 would be approaching Mountrath itself and there aren't many speed trap locations there, road is too narrow.
    If there was an obscured or missing limit sign around the roadworks then you would have a case to fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Reading some of the replies, it seems we the motorist just cant win! If we appeal or even want more info, the fine still rises! Madness total Madness

Hope you get it sorted, good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I reckon they caught you at the EMO garage on the way into Mountrath from the Portlaoise side. The white transit is often there sitting in amongst the parked cars.

Advertisement