Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harley Question

Options
  • 26-12-2008 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello again,

Does anyone know, is it possible to have a restrictor fitted to a Harley V-ROD ? Either a new bike or second hand.

And would that be factory fitted or after market ?

Finally, what's the general opinion out there on the V-ROD ? Is it worth getting ? Reliable ? More trouble than they're worth ? Or are they just brilliant ?!

Thanks !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Its gonna be an after market restriction. Only time you can get factory restriction is, well from the factory bought new. You can restrict any bike if you want. Im not a harley fan at all but I kinda like the V- Rod actually.

Don't know about restricting them, sorry. But they look nice and seem very overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

its a harly,noice to look at and thats about it
    will cost you a fortune to keep and run if yer loaded and can afford it why not if youre tight on money go for something more reliable
    imo

Do you want it restricted because you don't have a full licence or don't have much experience on bikes? I was just thinking there that it would cost a small fortune to insure a V Rod, restricted or not. You might not get insured on one at all depending on your licence/experience etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

The V-Rod puts out 123bhp and its a heavy yoke (307kilo's). I drive a similar bike but with 73bhp. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like restricted to 33bhp :rolleyes:

I'm having a quiet day in work so I thought I'd do some figures for you.

Based on the standard 2008 VRSCAW V-Rod. These are the Power to Weight Ratio's. With a learners permit and for 2 years after obtaining a full licence you are restricted to 33bhp.

Current: 0.29 (123bhp)
    Restricted: 0.08 (33bhp)

With a PTWR of 0.08 you'll be overtaken by scooters, old ladies and joggers. Its not worth it to be honest. Wait until you get your full licence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

KTRIC wrote: »
    The V-Rod puts out 123bhp and its a heavy yoke (307kilo's). I drive a similar bike but with 73bhp. I couldn't even imagine what it would be like restricted to 33bhp :rolleyes:

Based on the standard 2008 VRSCAW V-Rod. These are the Power to Weight Ratio's. With a learners permit and for 2 years after obtaining a full licence you are restricted to 33bhp.

With a PTWR of 0.08 you'll be overtaken by scooters, old ladies and joggers. Its not worth it to be honest. Wait until you get your full licence.

Yeah i agree with KTRIC, the V-ROD is just too heavy to move on a restricted engine. It would be like trying to pull a bulldozer with your teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BanjoSpanner

It seems I would have to hook my trouser braces onto the nearest truck in order to move a restricted Harley then ey ?!

Makes sense and thanks for the advice. As someone said they are very nice to look at and I think I was ( prob still am a bit ! ) blinded by it.

I've got a Ducati Monster 696 in mind too, I actually wrote a similar thread on here a week or two ago about that one. Again it would have to be restricted ( I have yet to pass the test and get full licence ), hopefully it wouldn't be such a heavy bike to make it necessary to get behind it and push ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Your licence will allow you to ride .16, so that's a 66bhp V-Rod, then.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

jambofc wrote: »
    its a harly,noice to look at and thats about it
    will cost you a fortune to keep and run if yer loaded and can afford it why not if youre tight on money go for something more reliable
    imo

what complete and utter nonsense.

For a start, V-Rods depreciate quite heavily, so used ones are good value. No need to lose your shirt on one. So the 'fortune' you speak of is fiction. Running costs on my H-D, and servicing, are less than any of my R11xx bikes, over the years, and servicing is peanuts.

Secondly, and as a recent 1450 R-K convert, I'd have to query how many miles you've put on a H-D. If none/few, then you need to come out with a few H-D guys you ride, not tour, and you'll be a little shocked at how quick they work in the Real World. Last fast spin I sent on, with a v.v.eperienced TDM pilot, he asked if the rear brake was working.........why? - it only blinked a couple of times in 25 miles. Nope, working perfect........aaah, mustn't be braking that often at all then, eh ? ;)

Finally, reliablie ? More reliable than my BeeEmm and Aprilia, so far, and I'm not afraid to ride it in the frost/rain, either. There's no issue I'm aware of, in recent years, on any H-D.

And I know you can ride a 1340 (Fatboy,etc) on provisional, with no restrictor. Restrictors only affect top end, not acceleration, so you don't lose anything an an Evo one, at any rate. All good, really :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Very uncomfortable bike if any distance has to be covered.

• Advertisement

...I agree the V-Rod has a .....weird........riding position. I couldn't get to like it, hence me going more conventional H-D route.

It's the bike you'd like to have in the South of France, on the Riviera. It's just you probably wouldn't be enamoured with having to ride to get it there ! :)

Nice engine, though.

Ode To The Motorist

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...I agree the V-Rod has a .....weird........riding position. I couldn't get to like it, hence me going more conventional H-D route.

It's the bike you'd like to have in the South of France, on the Riviera. It's just you probably wouldn't be enamoured with having to ride to get it there ! :)

Nice engine, though.

Heard the same thing about the Kawasaki Mean Streak. It seems the stretched out cruiser style isn't for everyone.

...indeed......I found it pulled my lower back.

On the R-K, which has footboards instead of pegs, I found the left hand rocker gear lever forcing my leg way forward, to get on the board.

Removed the rear section of gear lever, and now can move foot freely to a natural position. Guzzi-Cali, like, actually..........mmmmm, there's a thought........

Ode To The Motorist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Phoneman635

Just to update this thread for anyone looking for a hit on whether restricting a V-ROD affects its performance - had mine carried out today at HD Waterford (nice guys down there btw) and I can categorically state that I didn't notice even the slightest difference in performance on the 2hr journey back, I rarely take it above 5000rpm (no need, you'll be well above in license losing territory in 5th with that) and there is definitely no affect on acceleration after the restriction, so I'd have to agree with the previous poster, the restrict must only affect top speed. (Plus, it seems to have improved fuel economy for some odd reason, so it's all good stuff!), hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Gaolcon

I tend to agree with not getting bike Restricted especially the lovely VRod,
    Ive got a learner legal Iron 883 its the best thing ive ever bought:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Just to update this thread for anyone looking for a hit on whether restricting a V-ROD affects its performance - had mine carried out today at HD Waterford (nice guys down there btw) and I can categorically state that I didn't notice even the slightest difference in performance on the 2hr journey back, I rarely take it above 5000rpm (no need, you'll be well above in license losing territory in 5th with that) and there is definitely no affect on acceleration after the restriction, so I'd have to agree with the previous poster, the restrict must only affect top speed. (Plus, it seems to have improved fuel economy for some odd reason, so it's all good stuff!), hope this helps.

How is she at pulling trailers compared to before?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The brother's restricted shadow 1100 pulls like a champ. Pulling up through the gears, you wouldnt think it was restricted at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Do hardleys come fitted with potato noises or it it an aftermarket addition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

galwaytt wrote: »
    what complete and utter nonsense.

For a start, V-Rods depreciate quite heavily, so used ones are good value. No need to lose your shirt on one. So the 'fortune' you speak of is fiction. Running costs on my H-D, and servicing, are less than any of my R11xx bikes, over the years, and servicing is peanuts.

Secondly, and as a recent 1450 R-K convert, I'd have to query how many miles you've put on a H-D. If none/few, then you need to come out with a few H-D guys you ride, not tour, and you'll be a little shocked at how quick they work in the Real World. Last fast spin I sent on, with a v.v.eperienced TDM pilot, he asked if the rear brake was working.........why? - it only blinked a couple of times in 25 miles. Nope, working perfect........aaah, mustn't be braking that often at all then, eh ? ;)

Finally, reliablie ? More reliable than my BeeEmm and Aprilia, so far, and I'm not afraid to ride it in the frost/rain, either. There's no issue I'm aware of, in recent years, on any H-D.

And I know you can ride a 1340 (Fatboy,etc) on provisional, with no restrictor. Restrictors only affect top end, not acceleration, so you don't lose anything an an Evo one, at any rate. All good, really :)

I'm driving a softail 1450cc. Does not need restricting. Most Harleys don't need restricting.
    alpina wrote: »
    Very uncomfortable bike if any distance has to be covered.

Based on your own experience? I did 930km in June and was very comfy.
    I stayed with a load of racers and they wanted to swap for a few hours cause they had sore backs!
    Do hardleys come fitted with potato noises or it it an aftermarket addition

Lol. Yeah but after market pipes like vance and Hines and screaming eagles make it louder. Most gus upgrade the pipesnfirst either with whole new ones or slip ons.

A 1450cc bike that doesnt need restriction?

LMFAO

And Galwaytt comparing servicing costs & reliability to BMWs doesn't say a whole lot either, BMWs attract almost as many knobs as Massey Davidsons.

Lads do yourselves a favour and try out a decent bike for once, not a two wheeled tractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Sure there is 1600cc HD Dynas in the same boat.

Tried racers, just don't like em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Theres an 1100 in my shed that comes under the power to weight ratio.

The trick is to stick a large sidecar onto it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Lads do yourselves a favour and try out a decent bike for once, not a two wheeled tractor.
    Elitist snobbery works both ways, it seems. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Kami, still driving the sv65zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, fell asleep typing the name it, it's that boring :D

Nope, picking up a VTR1000 this week :D

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Nope, picking up a VTR1000 this week :D

A firestorm? The ladies version of the sp2?

If you say so ;)

Paparazzo wrote: »
    A firestorm? The ladies version of the sp2?

Saucer of milk at table two :rolleyes:

Saucer of milk at table two :rolleyes:

It was a joke. We used smilies. Then you came barging in with the rolly eyes, like an agro drunk in a posh restaurant.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Sounds right, a restriction doesn't do much apart from cutting back on top speed. I didn't bother with it myself when I took my test. Incidentally, I was told by HD Dublin a restriction wasn't possible. I had a Streetrod for two years and found it a comfortable, fast, and easy to handle machine. That said, I don't like the forward peg position of the current range, and most cruisers. Some cruisers like the Honda Magna and some of the Sportsters have a sort of mid peg position, which is far better for me.

Advertisement