Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London sensor cleaning place..

Options
  • 25-12-2008 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

thank god im going to London soon ... anyone recommend a good place where i can walk in and get my sensor PROPERLY cleaned ?

how much we talking roughly ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I will do it for you for €200 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

CabanSail wrote: »
    I will do it for you for €200 ;)

I'v never seen such a pointless post from a mod :D
    Ah well,Its christmas i'll say nothing..

I know jessops do sensor cleans

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The sensor cleaning is free ..... I am only charging for the airfare & the accomodation in London. I think it's quite cheap!! LOL

Most Camera Shops will clean sensors but you would be better off gettng a cleaning system yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

To be honest, I don't have even a blower so far and I have noticed quita a lot of dust on my morning pictures. I am not asking whou would like to offer me their services for a little blow-job cleaning the sensor (Rocket-blower should do the trick). But I should be available only later in the afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

OK ... .... ....

seems the blower will make it worse .. .then i have to use the eclipse
    solution ... but that is dodgy as noone knows the effect it has as the 5D mkii sensor has flourine coating...

• Advertisement

I would strongly recommed demineralized water only.

ThOnda wrote: »
    I would strongly recommed demineralized water only.

Is this a piss take ??

if it is you shouldn-t recommend someone potentially damage
    a €2,300 camera ... anyway i think ill take it to Conns this saturday or
    somewhere in London next week....

not looking for a place like jessops .. i mean a good small shop with
    professionals ... like Gunns or Conns .. only in London .. anyone know of a place ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Is this a brand new camera ? May I ask why the supplier won't clean the sensor for free or did you buy it in HK or China ? Your answers will help when I decide to purchase another camera. All my previous cameras were bought in Ireland and the dealer gave me 1 sensor clean free ( haven't had to use it yet)

jackdaw wrote: »
    Is this a piss take ??

if it is you shouldn-t recommend someone potentially damage
    a €2,300 camera

I am very sorry if I have incorrect information. I didn't mean neither to give incorrect information nor to cause damage to any hardware.

I'll shut up again...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

I used dust aid on a few occasions and never had a problem, It's dry so no danger with smear. Check it out on you tube and it can be purchased in Paddy Barker in cork

• Advertisement

Well i bought it in Spain, I am in Ireland at the moment ...

I will bring it back there when i go back next week ... but i fear he will just tell me sensor cleaning isn-t included in the warranty..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

as far as i can remember there was a discussion over a year back about dirty sensors and the general charge then was around €50.00.
    I also remember reading reports about some EOS 5D mk1 last year being cleaned with the wrong Eclipse fluid which damaged the sensors. Be careful with whatever you touch the sensor with!
    The blower is quite safe if you follow the instructoins for it. Haveing said that I've sucessfully cleaned my old 1DS mk 2 using the Eclipse system, you need to get the approved stuff tho!
    also be aware that Eclipse cant be brought on board any flight that your travelling on (big fire risk)

Fionn wrote: »
    as far as i can remember there was a discussion over a year back about dirty sensors and the general charge then was around €50.00.
    I also remember reading reports about some EOS 5D mk1 last year being cleaned with the wrong Eclipse fluid which damaged the sensors. Be careful with whatever you touch the sensor with!
    The blower is quite safe if you follow the instructoins for it. Haveing said that I've sucessfully cleaned my old 1DS mk 2 using the Eclipse system, you need to get the approved stuff tho!
    also be aware that Eclipse cant be brought on board any flight that your travelling on (big fire risk)

Well the 5D mk II has a CMOS sensor ... and the eclipse fluid I'm using is for CMOS sensors ... also how would i know the sensor is damaged ?
    all pics look fine ... .. apart from the few smudges on the f22 - f45 pics...

AFAIK the 5D has a CMOS aswell ... so was there another Eclipse fluid used for non CMOS sensors ?

edit ... i see http://www.photosol.com/cameras_bymfg.html

that the 5D is not supposed to use eclipse but E2 ...

lucky i used eclipse on the 5DII..

Advertisement