Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Byrne's "Annual, don't drink drive, slow down message"

Options
  • 24-12-2008 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭

No, that's not me saying that. That is actually what the radio introduced it as.

It's clearly time to get Gay Byrne out as figurehead of the RSA. He clearly doesn't know what he is doing and does nothing but focus on the above point. I get the impression that some people think they have free rein to do anything on our roads as long as they are not drunk and not speeding. In other countries there's a comprehensive drive to reduce road fatalities in all areas of driving. Not in this country though. We'll just keep on banging out the same old ****.

He keeps telling us to "slow down". Are those driving at the posted speed limits supposed to slow down further and further ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Christ, people here drive slowly enough as it is, any slower, and we may as well walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Are those driving at the posted speed limits supposed to slow down further and further ?

Yes, that mightn't be a bad idea.

When exactly did this forum become infested with Jeremy Clarkson fanatics?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

No, that's not me saying that. That is actually what the radio introduced it as.

It's clearly time to get Gay Byrne out as figurehead of the RSA. He clearly doesn't know what he is doing and does nothing but focus on the above point. I get the impression that some people think they have free rein to do anything on our roads as long as they are not drunk and not speeding. In other countries there's a comprehensive drive to reduce road fatalities in all areas of driving. Not in this country though. We'll just keep on banging out the same old ****.

He keeps telling us to "slow down". Are those driving at the posted speed limits supposed to slow down further and further ?

Of course he doesn't know what he is doing. He's a septugenarian closet homo with no qualifications whatsoever for the post he is in. He was chosen for the fact he had a popular tv chat show.

Michael Parkinson to regulate the UK railways anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well he'd clearly be wasting his time with any sort of long winded intelligent discussion on things when people come out with stuff like that.

This is the same rubbish rattled out in a thread every couple of days here. " the RSA dont care if you drive off a cliff as long as you dont do it too quickly" Crap. They are focuseing on the easy to solve stuff. How many people commit one particular thing that someone has done to you compared with the amount of people that drink drive and/or speed?

People here are great moaners about how we dont need to slow down and that all of US are great drivers but it's everyone else thats the preoblem. If you think you are a great driver you most probably arnt.

Yes the RSA could focus on other things aswell but the two things they use are important enough to change.
    Theres a huge amount of people who think they are much better at handling their cars than they are. Even when not breaking the posted limits, they wouldnt be in proper control if something did happen.

A for drink drivers. All that can be done to get them off the road is good in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Are those driving at the posted speed limits supposed to slow down further and further ?

Barely anyone in this country drives at the posted speed limits (not saying their wrong), think Gay Byrne is an awful gob****e though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm not sure how kosher it is to say this, but Gay is an old man at this stage; still dapper to be sure, but in the winter of his life.

We all know the attitude of the aged towards even a little speed. I've often given an elderly neighbour a spin on the motorway and he asks me to slow down when I do 90 km/h. That's simply too fast for him.

Gay needs to look at poor use of indicators, attitudes to overtaking, and a myriad of other issues and stop going on about speed and drink. As Augustus said, the message has sunk in so well at this stage that a lot of drivers seem to think that as long as they're not speeding or drunk, they can do whatever the blazes they like on the road. And many do just that.

Change the record a bit, RSA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I agree with many of the posters here.

Speed happens to be one of the issues I encounter the least. Lack of ability to indicate, navigate roundabouts, overtake vehicles (even when there is clear road) are other issues I've seen.

We as a nation simply can't drive on roads that have more than half-a-lane. Some of us don't know the colours on traffic lights mean. I see plenty of people parking in disabled spaces without a permit (although I'm sure that happens in other countries, I'm just re-calling what I've witnessed). People think "Garda-Only" signage on motorways is simply there for decoration. Some people are of the impression that the hard shoulder on motorways is an extra lane for their exclusive use.

We're collectively awful at driving. Reducing your speed doesn't make you a better driver. An idiot who can't indicate at 70 km/h won't be able to indicate at 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BluntGuy wrote: »
    I agree with many of the posters here.

Speed happens to be one of the issues I encounter the least. Lack of ability to indicate, navigate roundabouts, overtake vehicles (even when their is clear road) are other issues I've seen.

We as a nation simply can't drive on roads that have more than half-a-lane. Some of us don't know the colours on traffic lights mean. I see plenty of people parking in disabled spaces without a permit (although I'm sure that happens in other countries, I'm just re-calling what I've witnessed). People think "Garda-Only" signage on motorways is simply there for decoration. Some people are of the impression that the hard shoulder on motorways is an extra lane for their exclusive use.

We're collectively awful at driving. Reducing your speed doesn't make you a better driver. An idiot who can't indicate at 70 km/h won't be able to indicate at 40.

All those thing s are covered in the ROTR book that the RSA delivered free to every home. They cant take us all in indivilually and give us a few hours grilling on every aspect. Some individual resonponsibility has to be taken by members of the public at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Stekelly wrote: »
    All those thing s are covered in the ROTR book that the RSA delivered free to every home. They cant take us all in indivilually and give us a few hours grilling on every aspect. Some individual resonponsibility has to be taken by members of the public at some stage.

Of course individual responsibility has to be taken. An RSA representative cannot be in the car every time you're driving.

But the attitude in this country is very lax regarding driving, so it saddens me to say that the RSA will have to force us to become better drivers with frequent testing (every five years).

Many Irish drivers don't realise how pathetic they are at driving. They truly are an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

I agree its like groundhog day everytime that chatshow dinosaur comes on the telly.

I heard the death toll on the roads has been the lowest since the 60's. I'd imagine the better roads being built may have something to do with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭Stark

colly10 wrote: »
    Barely anyone in this country drives at the posted speed limits (not saying their wrong), think Gay Byrne is an awful gob****e though

I find most people tend to drive above the posted limit in towns and well below it outside towns. From what I've seen of people driving in Ireland and in other countries in Europe is that Irish drivers on average drive more slowly and less aggressively, but generally drive round in a bit of a daze.

I think the Christmas message is going to have no effect on people who are already competent at driving and is just going to make the 80km/hr everywhere brigade more smug.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Many Irish drivers don't realise how pathetic they are at driving. They truly are an embarrassment.

and not just pathetic, also VERY selfish and discourteous .... embarassment is the best description I have heard of the average Irish driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

well if England get the queens annual christmas then i think we deserve one too :L even if it is gay bryne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Gay just like his tv show belongs to the era of the horse and cart !

Advertisement