Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex-catholic being a Buddhist

Options
  • 24-12-2008 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Someone sent me a private message asking me for advice. I'm not a private counsellor, and there's nothing weird in the message. So I'm moving it here. I have kept the sender's identity private; it's for him or her to decide to engage with the community.
    Ok... I was born into a catholic family, christened, recieved my first holy communion, confirmed and ideally I would like to be unioned to my girlfriend sometime in the future.

In the past few years I have turned from the church because of so many differant reasons. I am not sure if I am able to say out of respect for other religions.

I was always interested in Buddhism, to some extent. Now I do not fully understand Buddhism nor was I really educated about the way of life. Where do I start? What do I need to know about Buddhism? What is important and what is not?

If people ask me what religion I am I say catholic. Just to keep the peace. I am in fact an athiest. I do not believe in any gods.

I would like to understand Buddhism more. What I know of it, very little, seems to be very good way of life. I like some of the ideals. What I would like to know also is, do you need to follow everything and believe in everything in order to become a Buddhist? Do you need to go through some ritual? Or how do you go about this?

I know most of my friends and family will laugh if I said I was Buddhist but I do not mind that so much.

Unfortunately, I do go fishing and hunting every so often, I am not sure where this would work in. Are there hobbies and interests that I would not be able to continue in order to to become a Buddhist?

Am I on the right path?

Thanks for any information you may have. I know you might have links and books that I might be able to read, but if it was put in a simplier form first then I could take it from there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭KamikazeKenny81

I would suggest maybe buyin a few books and having a read thro, seeing how it sits with you.

Buddhism is all about finding out who u really are, which means you are always on the right path - even if that path means you decide buddhism isnt the religion, or school of thought, you need to find the answer to that question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Thanks Yoda.

And happy festivities to everyone.

OP, there is nothing in your post that I can see that would prevent you becoming a Buddhist. I will try to answer your questions with very short replies. Then I will leave it to you to ask further questions if you wish. I will do it this way for the simple reason that Buddhism is a path that one must be drawn to by some internal desire to discover for yourself and not because someone converted you. I believe that you have reached a turning point in your life where you need to find answers so please feel free to ask any questions.
    Ok... I was born into a catholic family, christened, recieved my first holy communion, confirmed and ideally I would like to be unioned to my girlfriend sometime in the future.
    I was a Catholic for 30 years before becoming a Buddhist. My wife was an Atheist. We were happy together. Now, by her own choice, she is a Buddhist. We are very happy together.
    In the past few years I have turned from the church because of so many differant reasons. I am not sure if I am able to say out of respect for other religions.
    The church has made many mistakes in the past, its still makes them, but it has also changed. What kinds of reasons make you feel this way? I think I can make a good guess at the respect for other religions issues:). This is not a condemnation of the church, they have their rules and regulations just like any other organization. I am neutral, until they do something that directly affects my personal freedom. Then I get constructively angry
    I was always interested in Buddhism, to some extent. Now I do not fully understand Buddhism nor was I really educated about the way of life. Where do I start? What do I need to know about Buddhism? What is important and what is not?
    You start by asking questions and listen to, and hopefully interacting on, the information with an open mind. The only desire you need to have is to want to live a purposeful and happy life.
    If people ask me what religion I am I say catholic. Just to keep the peace. I am in fact an athiest. I do not believe in any gods.
    Buddhism does not concern itself with gods. It is about each individual's life. You are free to be Theist and believe in God(s) if you choose. You are also free to be Agnostic and say you really do not know. You are free to be Atheist, as I am, and say I do not believe in the concept of God(s). You can read the Koran, the Bible, the Gospels, and take any amount of what is written there on board. You can believe that Jesus really lived and that he was a great teacher and had a good message to get across (I do, I also believe that a lot of what he said was directly influence, if not paraphrasing, his experiences with other Buddhists).
    I would like to understand Buddhism more. What I know of it, very little, seems to be very good way of life. I like some of the ideals. What I would like to know also is, do you need to follow everything and believe in everything in order to become a Buddhist? Do you need to go through some ritual? Or how do you go about this?
    In answer to the first part, in the beginning, you take on board what resonates with you. Later, as you grown in understanding, you discard some ideas you have held, and you take on more and more ideas you read about. It is a gradual process of examine, belief and take on board, or discard. In answer to the second part, we have an action that we call "Taking Refuge." See here.. This link will give you some background on it. This can be a ritualistic ceremony, it can be a simple personal ceremony. If you join a particular Buddhist sect, they may have their own rituals. Others never feel the need to do this. Each according to their own.
    I know most of my friends and family will laugh if I said I was Buddhist but I do not mind that so much.
    I don't think they will:). I think they will want to know more about it from you.
    Unfortunately, I do go fishing and hunting every so often, I am not sure where this would work in. Are there hobbies and interests that I would not be able to continue in order to to become a Buddhist?
    Ah, the minefield question. The only answer to this is that you will decide the answer for yourself. I fish, I eat meat, I love to cook. I am a Buddhist.
    Am I on the right path?
    Yes, you are seeking answers to questions. This is the correct path for you at this point in your life. Wither or not this path leads to Buddhism or some other belief only time will tell.
    Thanks for any information you may have. I know you might have links and books that I might be able to read, but if it was put in a simplier form first then I could take it from there.
    I will put it in the simplest form I know.
    You are searching for something, you need to ask the questions that are in your head. Based on the answers you receive, you can make your own decision on how best to proceed. Help will find its own way to you. It would also be good to take a quick read of the Wikipedia entry;), we all have to study somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MeditationMom

When the Dalia Lama was asked: "What is your religion?", he answered:"My religion is kindness." A Catholic or an atheist could give the same answer.

That is why in the end all religions lead home.

Advertisement