Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

classic comedy

Options
  • 23-12-2008 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

What classic comedy shows do you think need to be brought back to TV? There are a whole bunch that are begging to be syndicated so I can see constant reruns? What would be your number one choice and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

has to be M*A*S*H

My dad watched it when he was growing up, and i watched too. anyone can enjoy it i think :)...

Is scrubs finished up long enough to be called classic comedy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

The Honeymooners http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Honeymooners
    Only ever watched it back in the 80's when I spent a summer in NY. Not sure if it was ever shown here, but I'd definately watch if it was on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Phil Silvers Show
    Halls Pictorial Weekly

so long that I can't remember if was any good
    Dusty's Trail

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

threes company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Seinfield - used to watch it every day after a hard days work in oz. Great times!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Moved to TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

How about the Marx Brothers? Most people have never heard of them but I consider them to be "classic" comedy. It's like a little secret I keep to myself that I hope only the most exclusive people will learn about. BTW, Groucho is thier leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Pigman II wrote: »
    How about the Marx Brothers? Most people have never heard of them but I consider them to be "classic" comedy. It's like a little secret I keep to myself that I hope only the most exclusive people will learn about. BTW, Groucho is thier leader.

+1
    BUT, ive never met anyone who hasnt heard of them, maybe you need to start moving in different circles:eek::D

NOT remade just RE-run

The Phil Silvers Show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! amazing!
    The Honeymooners
    Marx Brothers
    Police Squad
    Hancock's Half hour
    Steptoe & Son
    Corner Gas (recently shown on RTE at 4 in morning!!!)
    Porridge
    Larry Sanders
    +
    +
    +

ps Im a lot younger than the above might make you think :)

elshambo wrote:
    The Phil Silvers Show !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! amazing!especially when you consider it's age
    Hancock's Half hour :confused::confused:un funny I just don't get it
    Steptoe & Sonnot always funny, but the one where they split the house in half is wonderful
    Corner Gas +1 :) needs to be on at a saner time - then again look at B5 on C4
    Porridge has been repeated a lot, but still good

• Advertisement

Hancock's Half hour :confused::confused:un funny I just don't get it

"Unfunny" and "dont get it" are two VERY DIFFERENT things!!!:D

I must say I do prefer the old 50's radio ones, espically with Sid James, Hatty Jakes and all

Try and hear "The Poetry Society"
    played it to my sister recently, she could not belive it was recorded in the 50's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Dave Allen at Large?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whatever happened to the Likely Lads - sharp as a tack, better than original series
    The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin - peerless
    Not Only... But Also - groundbreaking
    Spike Milligan - Q - unique
    Rising Damp - Another Rossiter classic
    Brass - Northern Lines

Obligitory US import

WKRP in Cincinnati - Just for the memory.

The_Edge wrote: »
    Dave Allen at Large?
    +1

mike65 wrote: »
    WKRP in Cincinnati - Just for the memory.
    Just for Loni Anderson :)
    oh and 'death to disco'

elshambo wrote: »
    "Unfunny" and "dont get it" are two VERY DIFFERENT things!!!:D
    I find it unfunny , tbh I've only seen a few
    A lot of people think he's great including many comedians so there must be something there , but I just don't get that sense of humour.

The Paul Hogan show
    The Goodies
    The young ones
    Maid Marian and her merry men.
    Sledgehammer

Probably not classic but would like to see again
    Snakes and Ladders http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096700/
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Estate_Agents

- can't remember how good these were
    The Liver Birds
    Oh No, It's Selwyn Froggitt!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Ah, Sledgehammer was quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Men Behaving Badly. Only have 15 channels in my house, been watching it on UK Gold in my mams and it is so funny you are crying sometimes :D Never really watched it back when it was on, BBC need to repeat it more.

shane86 wrote: »
    Men Behaving Badly. Only have 15 channels in my house, been watching it on UK Gold in my mams and it is so funny you are crying sometimes :D Never really watched it back when it was on, BBC need to repeat it more.

Problem I had with that show (apart from never making me laugh :eek:) was that they always behaved quite tamely, which was probably the joke in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

The_Edge wrote: »
    Dave Allen at Large?
    undoubtedly

presuming you mean re-aired as opposed to recommissioned of course.

also:
    a show called "Hot metal" by David Renwick
    Attention Scum
    The Harry Hill Show
    It's Garry Shandling's Show
    most Jerry Sadowitz shows

Haven't seen an episode of any of them in it's entirety, and am fairly sure none of them have been shown in ages anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ChucklingFool

eolhc wrote: »
    threes company
    Good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DontStandChance

Not sure about older shows, but in terms of modern ones, all that matters is Scrubs and the Office which both have reruns on all the time. It's cheesy, but I could go for some more How I met your mother episodes being on more. I heard a while back that it was going to happen, but that was months ago so not sure if it was just a rumor or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Shooting Stars.

Just watching a programme on it now. Miss it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,251 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Frasier has to be the best American comedy! David Hyde Pierce who plays Niles - some classic quotes from him! Just brilliant:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Seinfeld
    The Fast Show
    Blackadder
    Alan Partridge
    Brasseye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭phenomenon

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Brasseye

Yes please
    seinfeld

This show will forever be tainted by Kramer's racist outburst during a stand up gig earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Jesus1222

The Phil Silvers Show

+1 (aka Sgt Bilko). This show is incredibly good and it's over 50 years old.
    Yes Minister, Blackadder.

Despite the fact it's radio, the subject matter would be stale and lost on most people and the fact Dermot Morgan is dead, I would kill any one of you to hear a modern series of Scrap Saturday. It was brilliant.

The Blizzard of Odd, while not exactly "classic" having finished 2 years ago, really needs to be continued. It was one of the few excellent homegrown programs on RTE and it was original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I'd love to see Night Stand repeated. I can't seem to find too many clips on the web, but it had me in stitches back in the day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Stand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

phenomenon wrote: »
    This show will forever be tainted by Kramer's racist outburst during a stand up gig earlier this year.

Totally disagree with you here. As far as I'm concerned Michael Richard's personal racism has no effect on the character of Kramer or indeed the show itself. I don't see how it could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭mobby

Morecambe and Wise
    Tommy Cooper
    Dads Army
    Two Ronnies
    Citizen Smith (how many remember this):)

Advertisement