Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could start over again,what would you change?

Options
  • 23-12-2008 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Well lets just say tomorrow all your gear gets stolen(hopefully it won't happen to any of you!:o)And it was insured,you claim and get the money in time for the January sales...

Now you have all the knowledge but just no gear
    What would you change about your photography so far?
    Change from canon to nikon,or nikon to canon?
    Maybe try some different type of photographer and buy specific equipment for that?
    Go straight to Full frame and skip the ASP-C
    Only buy canon glass instead of sigma
    Anything

If it was me,i'd probably stick with canon,as i like you can get cheap bodies that do 5FPS compared to nikon...
    I think i would of went straight off and got a 70-200 f/2.8 instead of wide angles and cheap telephotos and worked from there

So what would you change if you had the option
    Anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd have been ballsier earlier on in the game, and made a mint by now.

Other than that, I've made some good choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

If I had hindsight, I would have just gone straight to full frame at the start (I will be soon but ive gone 400D to 40D and now onto 5D II in spring in 18 months)

But of course I had no idea how into it I'd get... and theres no way I would have shelled out 2-3k for a camera without knowing...

If I had all the money I've spent again now to date (as you say insurance or whatever) plus the bit Ive saved to the new camera, it would be the 5D II and a bunch of L lenses, a 580 exII and a good sturdy manfrotto tripod

Lenses would be the 24-105, the 17-40 and the 70-200 f2/8 IS - that would be a nice little kit to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

If i were to start my Personal photography career again (which is about 1/100th of the worst of ye guys:)) i got the fujifilm s9500(i think) digital slr, its a good camera - but it doesnt have exchangable lenses.
    my dad had a few good lenses from his old camera setup.

but i still need to start taking shots to talk ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Well I can't say I'd change anything as I've been tempted to get the Nikon D3 and I'd say in the next few months I'll have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Would have went Nikon..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not something I'd change then, but need to change now.

Learn to take photos when there's really nothing interesting to shoot.. I suck donkey at inspiration*.

*which is a good thing that Genius is 99% perspiration, 1% inspiration. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

I suck donkey

Now that would be a photograph*

* - a very very distrurbing photograph

Maybe you should take that one to PI :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭nilhg

Start ten years earlier........................

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

If I lost everything tomorrow and had to start over?

Easy, buy another OM4Ti and 35mm F2 lens. I don't think I need much more than that. I have a lot more than just that though and covet more!!

Or possibly get a Lumix G1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

if i lost everything I'd replace the F80 and get a
    d80 instead of D40, replace the 18-55 AFS and 28-80 AFD, get a nikon 70-300afs insead of the sigma and then get a prime 50mm afd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I'd go all L Primes with maybe the odd exception L Zoom for walk around.

Dave OS

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I'd have gone for a DSLR earlier rather than the Canon G5 which was my intro to digital (I was a long-time Nikon film SLR driver before that). I would have probably gone for the full frame Canon 5D earlier as well (rather than the 20D which was my first DSLR). Can't say I regretted buying anything I did though - they all gave/give me great enjoyment. Canon or Nikon? Doesn't matter a damn: they are both fine camera systems. I'd stick with Canon purely because of the hassle free experience I've had with their cameras and lenses but I'm sure I'd have had the same experience had I opted for Nikon (their film cameras/lenses never let me down either). Toss of a coin really at the end of the day: there's nothing to choose between them, in my view. Wouldn't consider any other manufacturer though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Well, what would I change? Maybe a little my attitude to photography. And seeing 25 GB of today's pictures, I will have to change my attitude as soon as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Phototoxin wrote: »
    if i lost everything I'd replace the F80 and get a
    d80 instead of D40

Oooh, replace your F80, such a nice film camera, how can you sooo crewel. What you you replace it with ?

If I could replace any purchase it would be my 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 and change it for a 70-200 2.8, but you learn from your mistakes. As for the D80 - Great purchase and happy enough for the moment. However I am getting a F100 next month .... oooh I can't wait to replace my OM10

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

I would have gone straight to Nikon (first camera Sony A100:rolleyes:) and Nikon full frame

Bought all Nikon lenses instead of Sigma

Advertisement