Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What files work with Windows Movie Maker?

Options
  • 23-12-2008 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I just got a new sony handycam & learnt that the files it produces are not compatible with Windows Movie Maker - (MP4s).

What files do I need to change it to & is there a good free downloader that could do the files in bulk?

Thanks so much!
    holly:)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm sure someone will have a better solution but
    mp4cam2avi
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=123082

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

just checked on my pc and mp4 works ok with windows movie maker. You may need additional codecs. Do the files play ok in media player or what ever you use to play videos?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hollyeef

No they don't work in media player either, they told me to download new CODECs and i did, then the files worked but only the SOUND came through! ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

im using cccp codec pack myself others prefer KLite codec pack both are safe from nasty stuff.

Ok, where can I download them??

Does anybody know any good converters, even if you have to pay for them, really annoying now ! LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Why would you use Windows Movie Maker in the first place?
    You can not make nice videos and editing with it.
    There are plenty of other tools, more sophisticated that will do a way better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

hollyeef wrote: »

Does anybody know any good converters, even if you have to pay for them, really annoying now ! LOL
    I'm sure someone will have a better solution but
    mp4cam2avi
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=123082

Its not a converter, but it doesn't need to be. It just packages the mp4 files in the appropriate container so that WMM can recognise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

hollyeef wrote: »

Prism video converter is what I use. It's free and generally quick at converting video files. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

mick.fr wrote: »
    Why would you use Windows Movie Maker in the first place?
    You can not make nice videos and editing with it.
    There are plenty of other tools, more sophisticated that will do a way better job.

What other tools would you recommend Mick? Tried using WindowsMovieMaker but it is ABSOLUTELY hopeless!

for some reason, my files worked on my other laptop which was a newer one, both were vista, messed up but got it in the end!

thanks again x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I've used Movie Maker for an automated slide show with transitions, titles and audio/music track. Its good for this kind of stuff but not much good for video editing

Advertisement