Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Shuddered at 100kph and 2500RPM

Options
  • 23-12-2008 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Why would my car shudder twice at 100kph and/or 2500RPM?

I have it booked in for a service anyway for the 5th Jan.

Also, the guy asked if there was anything special needing looked at during the service. I told him that my car sounds like a cat being strangled when holding the car using the clutch. He didnt get my humour even though thats exactly what it sounds like. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

he might have been asking himself how you know what a cat sounds like when it was being strangled :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Wheels are out of alignment?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Wheels are out of alignment?

No it was a shudder from something occuring within the engine. I lost power momentarilly or at least for a milisecond with each very quick shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Berty wrote: »
    No it was a shudder from something occuring within the engine. I lost power momentarilly or at least for a milisecond with each very quick shudder.

Hmm, could maybe you engine is been starved of fuel (or air). Have a look at the air filter and fuel filter and replace them if they are blocked with crap. Could be something more serious though with the injectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Berty wrote: »
    Why would my car shudder twice at 100kph and/or 2500RPM?

I have it booked in for a service anyway for the 5th Jan.
    Did it only happen twice? Might it be nothing to do with the car itself, ie rumble strips on the road or something?

• Advertisement

Air filter is fine. Only checked this the other day for another reason. Air intake is problem free. It was a freak occurence but I will hope the replacement of filters and plugs in the service will fix this.

BTW, Meehans Toyota in Dundalk do a brilliant service. My Passatt came out of there driving extremely responsive.

Why send an Audi or Passatt to a toyota dealer I hear you ask? Company account :mad:

Anan1 wrote: »
    Did it only happen twice? Might it be nothing to do with the car itself, ie rumble strips on the road or something?

Nope, it was definately not external of the car. It was something in the engine Im sure of it. I felt the loss of power as well as the shudder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Not a mechanic but here's a list of my shuddering car problems through the years:

Uneven /worn tyres
    Tyres not alligned/uneven pressures - only shuddering that occured over 100KM/ 60MPH - otherwise-
    • Hit an ice patch on the road while breaking- ABS kicks in
    • Engine falls off mount (or about to fall off mount) (Renault megane old 1990s version)
    • Old Opel Corsa - always shuddered in wet conditions- lost power suddenly - usually was electrical problem, but sometimes, just didn't get to route of the problem ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

OP- Just re-read your post....'cat shrieking' sounds like the fan belt needs tighening- a simple (and common) job, but not sure it causes shuddering in the car !

Cicero wrote: »
    Not a mechanic but here's a list of my shuddering car problems through the years:

Uneven /worn tyres
    Tyres not alligned/uneven pressures - only shuddering that occured over 100KM/ 60MPH - otherwise-
    • Hit an ice patch on the road while breaking- ABS kicks in
    • Engine falls off mount (or about to fall off mount) (Renault megane old 1990s version)
    • Old Opel Corsa - always shuddered in wet conditions- lost power suddenly - usually was electrical problem, but sometimes, just didn't get to route of the problem ever

Now, I did get two new tyres yesterday but I know its not that because it happened before the new tyres as well(2 weeks ago).

I will inform the garage prior to taking the car in for the works and let them trouble shoot it.
    Cicero wrote: »
    OP- Just re-read your post....'cat shrieking' sounds like the fan belt needs tighening- a simple (and common) job, but not sure it causes shuddering in the car !

Sounds quite plausible actually. Can I do this in advance of the service? Very embarassing in traffic with pedestrian looking puzzled at your car. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement