Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One man's trash..

Options
  • 23-12-2008 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

another man's treasure. This is the story of a Poundie who was named Hooch by the girls who take pics of the poundies and post them online.

This is the pic which broke my heart when I saw it:

IMG_1000.jpg

I offered to take him and already had a potential home lined up for him. I was told he needed a litte TLC. So I arranged for transport and he was to stop with a friend of mine in the midlands for one night (she does BC rescue). When she met the transporter, he opened the van and the dog fell out of the crate in front of her feet and could not get back up. She rang me straight away and I asked her to take him to her vet. A couple of hours later I sopke with her vet and he told me that Hooch has both ears filled with pus, gravel embedded in his skin, weighed 12kg (he should have about 24kg). He was deaf in one ear and almost certainly was hearing impaired in the other due to the pus. An urgent OP was needed and I told the vet to go ahead and do it.
    The next day one of my transporters picked him up at the vets. His ears were all stitched up but he was abale to stand although he did fall over more often than not:

p917314.jpg
    p917313.jpg

I spent hours peeling more gravel out of his skin and hair.. And he got a fancy *hahaha* jumper because he was always cold, even in the house.

p917597.jpg

Three weeks on, this amazing dog can walk without falling over (one of his ear drums is perforated from the pus, so he will always have balance problems). He also put on 4lbs weight. The vet puts his age at at least 6 yro.

He still has a long way to go but the will to live is there and I certainly will do everything in my power to see him thrive.

p918538.jpg
    p918539.jpg

And he also got a brandnew name: Finnegan! Because....
    There was an old man named Michael Finnegan
    He had whiskers on his chinnegan
    They fell out and then grew in again
    Poor old Michael Finnegan
    Begin again.

And he certainly has that: a new beginning!

And with that I want to wish all friends and supporters of East Galway Animal Rescue a Happy and Peaceful Christmas. Your help and support makes it possible for me to keep going.

To a hopefully better year 2009!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

Ha awesome, that was kind of you to take him in

lovely jumper!

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Oh Egar im so glad you took him in well done and good luck and thanks for sharing the story of finnegan God bless you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭woofie87

You are a wonderful person for taking this poor guy! I nearly cried when i saw the photos. He is a great dog a fighter!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Finnegan went off to his new home today with Buddy Lassie and a lovely German couple from County Mayo.

p937213.jpg

Happy ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

EGAR that story is amazing. So glad he had a happy ending after his whole ordeal.

What a brave little fella finnegan is! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Brilliant!!! Well done again EGAR.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

What a brilliant story Egar! Well done you - finnegan looks like a completely different doggie in the last pic, so happy and healthy, glad to see a happy ending!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Awh I'm delighted, I cried at those first photos, it's just horrible.
    I'm so glad he got found by someone like you who saved his life.

And now he's got a lovely new life ahead of him.
    *HUGS* to you sir, there should be more like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭babystrawberry

EGAR, well done on this, so upsetting to see this happening to dogs :mad: great to see the end pic, totally different looking dog :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 samantha2000

A sad story with a wonderfully happy ending. On behalf of those precious fur babies without a voice, thank you, thank you, thank you.
    Have a wonderful life Finnegan you darling angel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement