Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance?

Options
  • 23-12-2008 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭

I have been driving a 00 Lancer now for around 5 months now and I passed my test 1 month ago ( age 21 male ).Im with Axa and I want to get a policy that will cover me to drive my dad's 2.0 diesel A4 which is insured with FBD.

What do I have to do and do I have to send forms to each insurance company etc if they say yes?

I originally thought I was looking for open insurance, but that is different.

What is the exact term of the policy I am looking for and is it hard to get for a young driver?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Some fully comp policies allow you to drive other cars, but you're only covered third party. I don't know if you have to be over a certain age though. Might want to give axa a call and ask. If I was your dad though I wouldn't let you drive my A4 with only third party cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I forgot to add I have comprehensive.

Thanks for the advice Magic.Im going to give them a call tomorrow, but dont want to sound like a fool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It might be off no benifit to you, but once you've a full licence with Quinn Direct you can drive any other car third party. Quinn could be cheaper too. Worth a try

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

It might be off no benifit to you, but once you've a full licence with Quinn Direct you can drive any other car third party. Quinn could be cheaper too. Worth a try

Thats good to know thanks.Im with Axa for another 6 months ( paid for a year ) suppose their is no chance I would get some money back if I switched to Quinn now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

It s the same thing with Axa as soon as you got your full driving licence you are automatically allowed to drive other cars.
    But it s only as far as 2.5 liter engines and your insured only for third party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - If you want anything more than third party on the Audi then you need FBD to either name you on your father's policy or to give him open driving.

don't switch to Quinn, they're rubbish, people think they're great as they are cheaper, but if you have any sort of accident whatsoever, you find out why they're so cheap.
    Most fully comp policies have third party driving of other cars included but there is usually a limit on the size of the car, either no bigger an engine than your own, or max litres, depends on the policy, also, there is usually an age limit of 23/25. Best thing to do is get your dad to add you to his policy and you do the same with him, it would be better if you were both with the same insurer also.

Advertisement