Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sorry an other VRT question

Options
  • 23-12-2008 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

If I bring an Irish car (Roscommon Reg) to the Uk and change it to UK reg. Then Two years later return to Ireland and change reg back to Irish. Will I have to pay the Irish VRT on the car even though it has registered in Ireland before. Also what are chances of getting the original Reg back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I think you'll have to re-VRT it, but not 100% on that.

Your reg may be gone and reassigned to first imported vehicle of same year of manufacturing into ownership by a person in your county. You might get lucky in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No, you dont pay VRT twice on the same car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

+1 - Ste is correct.
    VRT is payable on a car once only in its life.
    Re; the reg, you can ask for it back but they may charge you for that if its available that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,898 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Indeed you won't pay VRT again. I'm not sure if you can get the original registration back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

You may (as in will) need a certificate of conformity to register the car in the UK by the way. There won't be a problen re-importing the car however and you won't have to re VRT the car.

I did this before and the CRO hadn'd wiped my car when I exported it so I even got my original reg back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

actually may as well ask this here rather than start a new thread.

car i bought at the weekend was first registered in UK on 14th Jan. Am planning on paying the VRT on it tomorrow does anyone know though that if I wait an extra few weeks till the 14th will the VRT go down?

am gonna pay it tomorrow anyways regardless (wont miss it cos i planned it ito the price of the car anyways) am just curious more so than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed you won't pay VRT again. I'm not sure if you can get the original registration back...
    Not only can you, but you must - I did this only last year.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭kilasser

Thanks guys. Great info. Ill be bringing the car over to London in the new year. I'll post back when its all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No VRT, and you will get the original registration.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

miju wrote: »
    actually may as well ask this here rather than start a new thread.

car i bought at the weekend was first registered in UK on 14th Jan. Am planning on paying the VRT on it tomorrow does anyone know though that if I wait an extra few weeks till the 14th will the VRT go down?

am gonna pay it tomorrow anyways regardless (wont miss it cos i planned it ito the price of the car anyways) am just curious more so than anything

Personally i'd wait until the new year as the car will be a year older so the VRT will drop. I know its not the totally legal way of doing it but its not like you're going to be driving a foreign reg'd car around for months on end. Simply wait a couple of weeks (avoid undue attention from the garda, essential trips only etc) and VRT it then.

Probably gonna get slammed for saying that now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No need to wait until the 14th though - the OMSP will reduce on 1st January.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Kilasser,

If you go to the UK for two years you will be entitled to bring back a car from the UK on a transfer of residence basis,provided you have owned it for six months over there. This will be free of VRt.

I think the only exception to this rule is if you are going there as a student.

So I would advise selling your Irish car and buying another in the UK.
    regards, Rugbyman

Esel,
    Does the vrt list change with the New Year. It should do,but I think not.

Advertisement