Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's time for me to quit

Options
  • 23-12-2008 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hey all,

I'm 24, and just got diagnosed with asthma this year. I'm on about 10-15 per day. My partner says he'll give up with me. Have called the quitline and I'm waiting on advisor to get back to me.

Just wondering basically, do i gradually quit, or stop altogether? I've really no willpower at all, but I'm sick to death of waking up every morning choking :(

Any advice from ex-smokers, would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It's all or nothing.
    Cutting down doesn't work because you are still feeding the addiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

It's all or nothing.
    Cutting down doesn't work because you are still feeding the addiction.
    Cutting down is also a far, far worse experience to go through and you're better off not bothering at all. I tried to "cut down" a few times and it was such a waste of time and energy.

When you're smoking, the cigarettes are a part of your life but in a not too substantial way. However, when you go to cut down your entire life becomes about the next cigarette, you sit there watching the clock until you get to the next "allowed" cigarette, once you've smoked that you go back to watching the clock. It's horrible.

There's no physical withdrawal from nicotine so just quit, it'll be on your mind for a few days but it disappears pretty quickly afterwards and you start to get on with life. When you feel the little empty feeling/craving, just remind yourself that it's only the nicotine addiction looking for its hit, and it'll be gone soon and before you know it, it's gone.

It's really, really easy to go "I'll quit tomorrow" and then tomorrow comes and you make an excuse, it may sound like one of those things that's easier to say than do but seriously, just throw out the packet and get on with life and if you do have a little craving, have a glass of water and think how good life will be in a few weeks time.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Aryelle

Hey all,

I'm 24, and just got diagnosed with asthma this year. I'm on about 10-15 per day. My partner says he'll give up with me. Have called the quitline and I'm waiting on advisor to get back to me.

Just wondering basically, do i gradually quit, or stop altogether? I've really no willpower at all, but I'm sick to death of waking up every morning choking :(

Any advice from ex-smokers, would be really appreciated.

When you really want to give up, contact Paula Cummins Hypnotherapist in Wicklow - me, my Dad and brother have all given up the weed and have not looked back since having hypnosis with Paula. See my other postings on this subject here. Her number is 0404 61198.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 PaiDragon

I am today three weeks smoke free I smoked 20 a day along 4 or 5 cannabis joints. I have tried numerous times to quit before patches gum inhalers hypnois acupunture... you name it I have tried it...!
    But this time i went cold turkey after reading the Allen Carr book and i can't speak highly enough about it....
    in the book he breaks it down for the smoker and explains in simple terms how it is we keep smoking and how brain washed we become.
    Also what i found most useful about the book...is when he talks about craving......yes you will have them for a few days when you quit but they are indistinguishable from a hunger pains.
    and smoking a cigarette will not cure your craving.....it will just keep the the cycle ongoing .....non smoker don't suffer craving...
    so when you have a craving say to your self that that this is the result of smoking. it is because you smoked you have that craving......and also the minute to quench the last cigarette..... You are a non smoker
    wishing you all the best in your endeavor.....

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Have you thought of trying champix? See my thread on "Champix aka Chantix/vareniclene best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Keep smoking, paying taxes and contributing to pensions and then die suddenly just before retirement without having used health services or other taxpayers services. We need more selfless people like you.

If that logic is not enough to make you give up smoking then carry on!

Advertisement