Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busaras

Options
  • 23-12-2008 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Are there any stories associated with busaras?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've heard 2 stories told to me by the people who experienced them. One was the guy getting shoved into the side of a bus andd the other was a girl who saw a man step out from a wall and dissappear.

As for actual stories of hauntings, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ok thanks :) I am perhaps just being silly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

why do you think your being silly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

What happened:confused: I hate that place. I think the bit down to and at the loos has a spooky air about it and I always wanted to get out of there asap but it's probably just that feeling of going or being underground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I heard a story some girl was coming out of the toilet and was washing her hands and started talking to someone beside her.She didnt know the person she was talking to.Any way the woman was ther e 1 minute and was gone the next.The girl swears blind the women didnt leave she would have seen her.Dont know if its true but that place gives me the creeps.

• Advertisement

I was in the ladies, and most of it was blocked off. Only the front 3 toilets were available. The doors are very high from the ground, someone walked past the door and turned on the tap. I walked out seconds later, nobody in the toilets, tap still running (now they are push taps so could have been faulty) and nobody in the corridor outside.

I got a bit spooked.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I do not know a single person who doesn't want to get out of there as soon as possible. Whether thats supernatural or not I will not comment on.

SDooM wrote: »
    I do not know a single person who doesn't want to get out of there as soon as possible. Whether thats supernatural or not I will not comment on.
    ah go on, comment :D Yes it's not a very nice place at all. But this is the first time I actually heard/saw something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Busaras goes down quite a bit underground, there's an unused theatre down there. I'd love to explore it.

I'm sure there's a bit of history there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Busaras goes down quite a bit underground, there's an unused theatre down there. I'd love to explore it.

I diddnt know that,that makes it all the more interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Back in the mid-1960's, I was in the Eblana theatre downstairs one day when a play director named Simpson (I think) was rehearsing a play and a Guard in uniform walked in and sat down to watch. The director stopped the rehearsal and asked the guard if he was there to monitor the play for his superiors but the guard said he wasn't. The director went off to ring Dublin Castle or wherever the Garda heads were located at the time and the rehearsal only resumed when he returned a short time later. Seems there had been some problem about the content of a play named "The Rose Tattoo" previously and the director wanted to sort that out before moving on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

sorry for the stupid question but is it the bus station in dublin city that yer talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Yep ... at least its what I was talking about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

Fajitas! wrote: »

Wow, that's really interesting! Where abouts is the theatre and how long is it closed down?

It's closed down since the early 90's I think - Maybe longer - It's all underneath the building - You wouldn't think it, but there's more to Busaras than buses! Upstairs are plenty of non bus related offices, and even apartments!

The theatre downstairs in Busaras was known as the Eblana as mentioned in my earlier post. As best I recall, it wasn't very big, seating for three to 400 hundred maybe but very cosy. There were also elaborate well maintained publicly accessible toilet/washrooms downstairs as well which caused it's own problems too because the great unwashed of Dublin's nightlife regarded it as their 'Hilton' as they turned up to freshen up in the mornings with soap and maybe an old razor knotted in the corner of a grubby handkerchief The access was via a descending stairs adjacent to the old parcels office which was on the left hand side of the interior as one entered via the main Store St entrance.

That's really cool, why was the theatre underground? Is it unusual for theatres to be underground?-sorry, bit of a pointless question but I'm just curious!

That's really cool, why was the theatre underground? Is it unusual for theatres to be underground?-sorry, bit of a pointless question but I'm just curious!

Eblana is said to have been a very ancient name for Dublin and at least one source indicates that it was actually the name of the site upon which the city was built and the place to which poets, Celtic troubadours, artists of every hue would meet in assembly to trade, perform and entertain. There is reference in some continental accounts of the period to Celtic bards doing their thing on Hibernia's east coast in a place called Eblana but I have no better recall of what I learned in bygone days. A little historical research would probably reveal further details along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭jane86

I was down in the ladies bathroom for the first time a few weeks ago and I have to say I felt uncomfortable even though there was a few people there. It may have just been the decor and the lighting. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I never knew Busaras had a downstairs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Loxosceles

The creepiest thing I've ever seen at Busaras is that pigeon with the one stumpy leg, tottering his way around the waiting area seats. I see that thing every single time I'm there and it's been nearly 3 years since I came to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Loxosceles wrote: »
    The creepiest thing I've ever seen at Busaras is that pigeon with the one stumpy leg, tottering his way around the waiting area seats. I see that thing every single time I'm there and it's been nearly 3 years since I came to Ireland.

He may have moved to Connolly Station ! :p I seen an unfortunate-looking bird like there today. :D

I'd love to know more about Busaras- I didn't know there was a theatre there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Loxosceles wrote: »
    Agreed, very creepy. That pigeon and the little old lady with no teeth, perpetual chewing action and a wonky walk. They're the only freaky things about that place.

Agreed, very creepy. That pigeon and the little old lady with no teeth, perpetual chewing action and a wonky walk. They're the only freaky things about that place.

Yea, that and the Actors Ghost who carried a disfigurement. He appeared only to actors associated with the Eblana Theatre in the basement area and never appeared above ground. An appearance before the curtain went up on opening night in the early days of the theatre invariably upset the actors.
    Somehow it was all reminiscent of scenes from "The Hunch Back of Notre Dame".

Hmmm, I had a quick look on Wikipedia, apparently the downstairs was gutted, but I'm not too sure if it was fully gutted, I thought they just got the toilets back into good order.

There's a weekend some part during the year where several of Dublin's well known buildings are opened to the public for tours, as far as I know, Busaras is one of them, if anyone knows the dates, I know you have to prebook your access.

Looked it up and the theatre was first a cinema type room where they showed a short film-type reel for people travelling that had to wait around for a bus. Then they used it as a theatre. Pity they closed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

There's a picture of it here
    000153.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

faceman wrote: »
    I never knew Busaras had a downstairs!

I've known Busaras had a downstairs for years. I even went down there quite a few times. The toilets looked rather run down when I was there last, but then again... that hasn't changed from each time I've been there! I've not felt anything, I have to say... apart from disgust at the state of the toilets!

That said, I don't need to go there any more as the bus to Naas leaves from the Quays, so I'm getting off at Tara Street now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I also get off at Tara street. So I havnt felt anything in Busaras in years as I havnt been down in the abandoned toilets there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I seem to be one of the very few souls to actually brave the toilets down there when I do go! We should get paid for going down there, not us paying them!

Advertisement