Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online store to buy filter lens (46mm)

Options
  • 23-12-2008 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to get a few basic filter lens (UV, Polarizing and ND)- 46mm. People have recommended Hoya. I tried a few shops and none did 46mm
    1. Anyone know any online stores that deliver to Ireland?
    2. Someone said Ebay is full of fakes- true or lies?

cheers,
    Pa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Have a look on 7Dayshop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Have a look on 7Dayshop

7dayshop is where I'd normally recommend as well (with a rider not to order the 7dayshop own brand stuff, its crap). They only have one UV filter in 46mm though ...

OP, what are these for ? 46mm is quite an unusual size for a filter thread. Your best bet might be to get a 46->52mm step up ring and then buy all your filters in 52mm. Its by far the most common and cheapest filter size, as its the default size for most of the consumer lenses from canon and nikon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

thanks- If I go 52mm and then put the filter on it will I still be able to turn camera on/off without removing the filtere & adaptor?

dinneenp wrote: »
    thanks- If I go 52mm and then put the filter on it will I still be able to turn camera on/off without removing the filtere & adaptor?

eh ? I don't know, it entirely depends on what make and model your camera is ! I can't imagine why not. Is this some bridge camera with an adapter ring or something ? Little more information needed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,102 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Panasonic FZ28 digital camera.
    If I turn camera on with the lens cover on it tries to extend the lens....so I'm wondering if I have the adaptor and filter on will the lens cover still fit on?

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    Panasonic FZ28 digital camera.
    If I turn camera on with the lens cover on it tries to extend the lens....so I'm wondering if I have the adaptor and filter on will the lens cover still fit on?

Ah right, gotcha. So the 46mm filters screw into the lens itself, and when the lens retracts it slides back inside that casing. Yeah, looks like you won't be able to step up so, it would probably damage the camera or jam up the mechanism.

I (years ago) had a similar camera though (fuji s602) , their solution was a hollow metal tube that actually screws onto the housing of the lens (the outer tube) and extends forward enough that even with the lens fully extended, you could screw stuff to the front of the metal tube and it wouldn't interfere with the lens. Made the camera much more cumbersome because it was screwed on all the time, but it was the only way to really add filters with the camera. Your camera might have a similar accessory. Otherwise I guess you're stuck looking for 46mm filters .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

quick google later ...

looks like this is what you want ...

Panasonic DMW-LA3 Lens Adapter

which allows the use of arbitary 55mm filters to be screwed on. Shops in town ought to have it I guess, if that camera is a recent one ...

Advertisement