Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon L lenses for 300D and where to buy?

Options
  • 23-12-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

I have a Canon 300D with the kit lens and the nifty 50 but am looking to upgrade the lenses in the post christmas sales

The question is what are the lenses to go for? As I would intend to keep these lenses for the forseeable future I am drawn to Canons L lenses perhaps the 70-200 F4 L and the 24-70L as various reviews that I've seen rate them highly

I enjoy both people and travel photography so the lenses need to be light enough for walk around purposes.

As sterling is weak it seems that there could be good value by purchasing from a UK dealer. Where is the best value online? Jessops?

Any recommendations? Plenty of time to browse the dealers web sites over Christmas

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Calumet in Belfast have very good prices right now.

Other than that, Kea-photo always have great prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

thejuggler wrote: »
    I have a Canon 300D with the kit lens and the nifty 50 but am looking to upgrade the lenses in the post christmas sales

The question is what are the lenses to go for? As I would intend to keep these lenses for the forseeable future I am drawn to Canons L lenses perhaps the 70-200 F4 L and the 24-70L as various reviews that I've seen rate them highly

I enjoy both people and travel photography so the lenses need to be light enough for walk around purposes.

As sterling is weak it seems that there could be good value by purchasing from a UK dealer. Where is the best value online? Jessops?

Any recommendations? Plenty of time to browse the dealers web sites over Christmas

If you are thinking about the 70-200mm f/4, save up the money and get the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS.I got it and never looked back.I was advised by other boardisies that i'd only end up buying it eventually.I also have the 24-70mm f/2.8 L.I got it last week and have to say that it's a fantastic lens that is well worth the money.Good glass is worth it's weight in gold when you look at the photos you get with it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

Look at your shots, and see if most are taken at the wide or tight end of your zoom. If your shooting the majority of the images that you prefer at the wide part of your zoom, I'd look at a 17-40L

if your always wishing for longer, Id look at a 70-200.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I recently bought 2 Nikon lens from Calumet in Belfast. 17-55 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 VR. Ordered them on the phone on Friday morning and had them on Monday morning by courier, no delivery charge. I saved 700 euro on Dublin prices. They also supply Canon products

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Good prices on some items...

5d MKII is not cheap... hope it comes down soon

(they do the d700 body only £1500 so heres hoping the 5d drops after christmas as it would be very handy to either nip up to belfast or order it and have it nice and quick

• Advertisement
Advertisement