Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

whats the worst that could happen

Options
  • 23-12-2008 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

i am at home and bored. and have use of the company car for the holidays.... long story short i was going to put a sh1tty halfords induction kit on it for the laugh.

my cousin threw one on to his car and it sounded a bit different but what i want to know is will it work on my diesel car?

and secondly will it damage the car?

(i was thinking if it damged the car would have the old airbox in the boot ready to swap it out in the event of an event!!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Do it, I'm sure everything will work perfectly! Sounds like a great idea! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

i saw a kit of like 50 euro. a bit of craic anyway and 30mins under the bonnet .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Yes your employer will love you tinkering with the engine on their property....

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Don't bother with a new one, just remove old one.

Actually the worst that can happen is that you decrease performance. The sound you hear is because the filter is not protected any more (probably not a good thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Induction kits on diesels tend to due nothing as they are rarely starved of Air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Worst thing that I think could happen would be one of these:

1. Induction kit sheds something, it goes in the turbo and wrecks it
    2. Happens at least with VAG diesels: AF meter gets fouled with debris or oil from the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You car is there to represent the company as well as you so as long as the car does not embarass the company or you then work away. Dont tint it, spoilers, silly alloys etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

If you want to improve it, do it properly and get a K&N Air filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

samih wrote: »
    Worst thing that I think could happen would be one of these:

1. Induction kit sheds something, it goes in the turbo and wrecks it
    2. Happens at least with VAG diesels: AF meter gets fouled with debris or oil from the filter.

...and you loose your job because you wrecked company property :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The worst that can happen...

Assuming you're talking about a K&N type cotton filter with an oil on it, tiny droplets of oil could get drawn into the air intake and contaminate the Mass Air Flow Meter. A contaminated MAF will send too low a signal to the ECU regarding the volume of air being drawn into the engine. The ECU will in turn send a reduced signal to the injector pump / injectors regarding the volume of fuel to be injected resulting in the engine running lean. A lean runnung engine will mean reduced power and increased NOx emissions. Reduced power will mean unhappy you. Increased NOx emissions mean an increased risk of cancer to those in the vacinity of your car when the engine is running.

So there you have it, the worst that could happen is somebody getting cancer and dieing through your deliberate actions making you guilty of manslaughter, if not murder.

Well you did ask what's the worst that could happen ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

OP just get a K&N hi flow panel filter. It will be a straight swap for the standard filter element and will be completely safe and 'will' be an improvement over the stock system and whatever crappy system halfrauds sell.

peasant wrote: »
    ...and you loose your job because you wrecked company property :D

ha ha would not be the first bit of company property wrecked....

yeah halfrauds did not have one that fitted. looking closer at it i had to by pass the MAF sensor. not an expert but i know i shopuld probably not do that.

anyway i installed an air horn. looking into a proper one though. any suggestions and rough price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

guys get a life.....halfords induction kits are a f-ing joke and sucking your wallet of money...when you can and will afford a decent motor with a meatey engine, then it's play time. I had a horn on for a 911 turbo since the early 80's. I have that puppy today, an 88 turbo and there is soo much one can do with it and am doing with it. I started out with a clapped out golf 1.6 diesel. My advise is dont bother your ars@ tinkering with induction kits with the like of ibizas etc, save your money and when you get the right motor it'll be Show time and halfords will be a distant wet dream to what you can pimp your ride with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Bearcat wrote: »
    guys get a life.....halfords induction kits are a f-ing joke and sucking your wallet of money...when you can and will afford a decent motor with a meatey engine, then it's play time. I had a horn on for a 911 turbo since the early 80's. I have that puppy today, an 88 turbo and there is soo much one can do with it and am doing with it. I started out with a clapped out golf 1.6 diesel. My advise is dont bother your ars@ tinkering with induction kits with the like of ibizas etc, save your money and when you get the right motor it'll be how time and halfords will be a distant wet dream to what you can pimp your ride with.

Dead right all you will gain is max 5hp and an empty feelin inside you that youve wasted 50 notes

ah sure i was only doing it for a bit of craic. sure i know its all sh1te. but i would have been happy enough for a noise change and fil the lads in work with a load of sh1te saying that its twice as fast now.

yeah sure no point in owning my own car ( recessionary times and all ) when i have to company car.

yeah one day i will have the car with a load of upgrades..... come on lotto numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,495 ✭✭✭maidhc

landyman wrote: »
    Dead right all you will gain is max 5hp and an empty feelin inside you that youve wasted 50 notes

You won't get any HP gain. Instead you will get a big load of heat soak, probably reduced performance and the time fitting the kit will be gone from your life forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

spend the 50 euro buying your mot something or better again have a feed of booze to the value of 50 euro....there'll be a better after effect than the ****# halfords is trying to flog!!!! happy xmas one and all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Martron wrote: »
    whats the worst that could happen

You could crash the car and the insurance company wouldn't pay out because the car was modified. Insurance policies tend to have clauses like that in there.

Advertisement