Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question - Know of a car dealer that will take a boat?

Options
  • 22-12-2008 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,

Unusual one for you. Just sold my car, and I'm thinking of shifting my Bayliner sportboat aswell.

Does anyone know of a car dealer that takes boats as trade-ins? ie in the case where he is multi-franchsied - both a car and boat dealer?

If anyone knows of such a dealer, I'd be obliged for the information.

Thanks a mil...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Given the amount of them going under at the moment I think a boat is exactly what they may need.

To be honest, car dealers don't even want to take cars in now as trade-ins, I cannot honestly see what they would do with a boat unless they are having a buy a used car and get a boat free promotion happening anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭sthealy

Thanks for the reply bazz, and I appreciate your sentiment, but what I'm looking for is....

....if there is anyone out there who sells both cars and boats (not necessarily on the same site). I once traded a Toyota against a BMW, as the dealer had both franchises - not quite the same I know.

So, if anyone knows of the like of an organisation that trades in both cars and boats, I'd like to hear from you.

Cheers....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bazz26 wrote: »
    Given the amount of them going under at the moment I think a boat is exactly what they may need.

Good man, bazz. You gave me a laugh :D

Unfortunately, it's true - but I can see the funny side.

@OP - I don't know of any dealership that sells both cars and boats but even if I did I doubt they'd be interested with the way things are right now. If I was you I'd try and shift that boat privately. Car dealers have enough grief shifting used cars not to mention boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,895 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Going into the winter is the worst time for selling a boat anyway, but I don't need to tell you that. Did you try selling your boat privately? If you managed to sell it and buy a car in a direct sale, your position as a buyer would be very strong and you'd be able to pick up a great deal!

Thanks - I also saw the funny side ho ho. In this case I would find trading-in, however, more convenient. I have a new boat on order for new year, and thought this an ideal opportunity to trade against a car in the meantime.

If anyone else has any leads, I would like to hear them. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭M.T

Try the Nissan dealer in Dungarvan. Last time I was there he had boats for sale too. Those dingy(sp?) types... but you never know.

http://www.dungarvan-nissan.com/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

sthealy wrote: »
    Thanks - I also saw the funny side ho ho. I find trading-in, however, more convenient. I have a new boat on order for new year, and thought this an ideal opportunity to trade against a car in the meantime.

If anyone else has any leads, I would like to hear them. Thanks again.

Why not trade against the new boat?? or am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

The motor trade is sinking fast, wait til the janurary sails!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Keep the boat...you'll be able to offer one way trips to the US,UK and the rest of Europe when the depression really hits.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Pugmister

Richford Motors possibly

• Advertisement

I'll try those 2. Appreciate that M.T/Pugmister.

Anyone know of any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,895 ✭✭✭✭unkel

mickdw wrote: »
    Why not trade against the new boat?? or am I missing something?

+1

In response to the last post, it just suits me now to do it this way. New boat isnt coming till mid summer as its a new model.

Any further dealer suggestions are much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

He sold his car privately and now wants to purchase a new car from a dealership (boat+cash).

Something about that ^^ doesn't seem right. Is that correct Sthealy?

And I'm sorry I've no advice to give you on boats and car dealerships. Did you try sell the boat privately? Even put it up on adverts.ie and have the advert in your boards.ie signature. Boards.ie gets a lot of a traffic through google.. etc

Your absolutely right Black Wizard. See above post for clarification. Something I've never done before, hence looking for advice here.

Appreciate the suggestion.

Appreciate advice so far, but would like to keep thread on topic....
    Namely,

Suggestions for dealers (if any) who sell both cars and boats - (perhaps not from the same location, ie two different sites but a company that has a car dealership and boat dealership)

Thanks a mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Opel dealer in Edgeworthstown allegedly took a light aircraft as a trade in a few years ago... broad minded type? might be worth a call given the lakes in the area.

Thank you Fishtits. Appreciate that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Isn't there some where up in Portuma, Co. Galway, or near that direction that sells boats. Last time i passed they have a fairly big stock of them. They might buy it off you. Some one nearer to the location might know the name of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Isn't there some where up in Portuma, Co. Galway, or near that direction that sells boats. Last time i passed they have a fairly big stock of them. They might buy it off you. Some one nearer to the location might know the name of the place.

The only dealer I know in that kneck of the woods is Al Hayes (VW).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭recycle

crosstownk wrote: »
    Good man, bazz. You gave me a laugh :D

Unfortunately, it's true - but I can see the funny side.

@OP - I don't know of any dealership that sells both cars and boats but even if I did I doubt they'd be interested with the way things are right now. If I was you I'd try and shift that boat privately. Car dealers have enough grief shifting used cars not to mention boats.

Reckon you might have greater success trying your luck with an estate agent.

OP, why buy a house, when ye can buy a house boat....Arrrrr tisn't that right matey.

Anywho, this is the guy to talk to. Make sure to let us know how you get on/sober up.

captain.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

bob cameron malahide give him a call he is on carzone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Dungarvan Nissan is defo worth a try. They always have a few ribs\speed boats lying around

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

I was thinking of buying a small boat that could be used for skiing
    would yours suit and what is it worth !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Darsad wrote: »
    I was thinking of buying a small boat that could be used for skiing
    would yours suit and what is it worth !

Not great on the snow I would think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

OP, if you think it's hard to sell cars at the moment, the boat trade has gone through the floor. No car dealer will take a trade in like that. www.apolloduck.ie is the only place to try and sell a boat in this climate (and it ain't happening...).

Hi Darsad,

Yes it would be suitable, especially as it has a wakeboard tower. I will pm you some details.

Cheers....

Dyflin, although your advice is appreciated, I don't see the need for the doom and gloom - there's enough on RTE which isn't a balanced news reporter in my view.

There are always people looking to buy and trade up - I am one and there are plenty more albeit that they are more cautious, also like myself.

Would be obliged if we could try not to deviate too much from dealer suggestions. Many thanks for all so far, I have a reasonable list of contacts now.

Happy Christmas all !!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sthealy, take a look at the competition, this time last year it would have been extremely rare to see a price reduced boat, now it's unheard for the asking price to be paid. All these people of yours looking to trade up are looking at an array of bargains never before seen in the Irish market.

We traded up last year and were one of the lucky ones if all the 'for sale' signs on boats in the marina are anything to go by.

Best of luck, you'll need it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

bazz26 wrote: »
    The only dealer I know in that kneck of the woods is Al Hayes (VW).

Lol, i know of him alright.

But i was talking more about an actual boat dealer?

Advertisement