Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I feel guilty?

Options
  • 22-12-2008 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭

I don't know if this should be posted here or personal issues but, mods feel free to move it.

OK, right now my dog is missing, nothing new. The minute he sees the front door or the living room window open, he's gone like a light. He has at least ran away 10 times this year and I'm sick of it.

I have tried anything I brought him out on walks, nuetered him yet, he still has the urge the run out.

Christmas eve 2 years ago, he ran out of the door while my dad was putting out the wheelie bin, he escaped and managed to get himself knocked down. You'd think he would learn his lesson this but, no he doesn't.

I'm just back after searching for him for 3 hours and now I'm just at the point that I just don't care anymore, it's depessing to say that. I looked after and treated the dog well and now It seems like a waste of time.

Am I right to feel this or should I feel guilty?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

What about a radio collar around the perimeter of your property. It will contain him to the garden even if the gate is open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

no need to feel guilty. Your only annoyed now. If he doesnt come back you will miss him. He will be back though hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

seanybiker wrote: »
    no need to feel guilty. Your only annoyed now. If he doesnt come back you will miss him. He will be back though hopefully.

Believe it or not, I'm just back home after getting my dog from a mechanic. He found him wandering around his garage a mile away from my home.
    bertie1 wrote: »
    What about a radio collar around the perimeter of your property. It will contain him to the garden even if the gate is open

Excuse my ignorance but, what is a radio collar? I assume its some a collar that shocks the dog, I will look into it.

Tbh, I don't what to do anymore. He's getting out of control. I really need to figure something out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ha ha ha nice one. Maybe he just wants a job or a car

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

creggy wrote: »

Excuse my ignorance but, what is a radio collar? I assume its some a collar that shocks the dog, I will look into it.

A cable is run around the edge of your property ( with a signal going through it from a transmitter) , the dog wears a collar with a battery in it. When he gets near the cable it beeps & lets him know he is too near, if he proceeds out over it , he gets a shock. You normally get flags with it to train the dog that the cable is there , once they get used to it they will not go out even if the collar isn't on them. I found it great to train my dog not to go out the gate after every stranger that passed walking on a summers evening . Now he barks at them from about 2 meters from the cable , even if he hasn't got a collar on. ( I have to lift him out over it when we go for a walk as he just sits down & refuses to pass over the pipe at the gate) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kazza23

Enrol your dog in training classes and get working on recall. This should sort the problem in a humane manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

. He has at least ran away 10 times this year ...
    ...he escaped and managed to get himself knocked down. You'd think he would learn his lesson this but, no he doesn't.

No offence, but how about you learning your lesson?

Doors and windows can be kept closed ...at least while the dog is near them.
    Put the dog in a closed room before you open another door. And then there are leads.

Not exactly rocket science now, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭livvy

Maybe the breed of dog is not suitable for you. You sound like a good owner but maybe the dog would be better off living with a family in the country where he has more space. If it was me i would prefer to house him with a different family than to think he was roaming the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

peasant wrote: »

agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I suggest talking with a vet about your dogs behaviour. They usually have the best advice on the best way you can deal with it.
    +1 for the dog training classes if that's an option for you.

Keeping the doors closed at all times is helpful but not the solution. Your dog needs to learn to obey it's master ;)

• Advertisement

Put the dog in a closed room before you open another door. And then there are leads.

Of course I do that, I can't keep my eye on the dog 24/7! Besides, it's usually happens by accident.

I'm going to look around about the radio collar and talk to my local vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

dont feel guilty its not your fault. get one of those electric shock colors and zap him any time he runs off. show him whos boss

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

agreed

Me too. I live beside a main road with 4 large dogs & 9 indoor cats plus whatever else lands here as fosters. Not one have got out a window or door yet as I do look after their welfare 24/7 & know that an open door or window can mean the end of them. It's not that hard to close a window whilst a pet is in the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭ukgalwaymcguire

Totally agree
    i have a king charles cav, and has been known too run in th past,
    but i learnt my lesson, thats part of him, and we have adapted to it

Of course I do that, I can't keep my eye on the dog 24/7! Besides, it's usually happens by accident.

I'm going to look around about the radio collar and talk to my local vet.

Your dog has run away 10 times this year alone ...I'd say you're a bit too "accident prone"

By running away that often he has also learned that running away is
    a) not at all difficult
    b) well worth it (think of all the adventures he had on his own)

He is now a serial escapee and will do it again whenever he gets a chance. Nothing the vet, an electric collar or a trainer can do about that.

You need to break the pattern, you need to stop him from escaping ...close the shaggin' doors ! Its a very cheap and effective solution (and the only one that works)

Once you have his undivided attention you can work on getting a better bond with and understanding for him and possibly train him to stay inside ...but that will take lots of time and may be altogether impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Once is an accident. 10 times per year is carelessness.

Dont become a prisoner in your own home and fear the 'DOOR IS OPEN'!!! CLOSE IT QUICK!!! when a visitor arrives - for example. By all means keep the doors shut as much as you can but you have to deal with the core issue.
    Your dog is crazy to escape, he has to learn (you have to teach him) not to run for it when he's see's an opportunity.

Of course the vet can help to advise the owner about what to do.

kerash wrote: »
    Your dog is crazy to escape, he has to learn (you have to teach him) not to run for it when he's see's an opportunity.

Any suggestions on how to achieve that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

And OP, I hope you have read the Pitbull thread and seen what can happen when dogs are able to roam around doing as they please.

Any suggestions on how to achieve that?
    The op is saying the dog is escaping and he's sick of it - I'm advising that he must do something more that keep the doors closed because there will always be the occasion when a door is left open.

An A-Z on how to do this, I dont feel I can advise very well. In my experience, commands are number one, getting the dogs full attention and the only way to test that is exposing him to open doors and temptation!! Make it less appealing. Of course it depends on what breed the dog is, is he kept inside all the time, who looks after him, how old is the dog, is he good with commands.
    I dont see that info and I'm not an expert that's why I suggest he speaks to one and maybe see about obedience classes if he thinks that's needed.

• Advertisement

The op is saying the dog is escaping and he's sick of it - I'm advising that he must do something more that keep the doors closed because there will always be the occasion when a door is left open.

An A-Z on how to do this, I dont feel I can advise very well. In my experience, commands are number one, getting the dogs full attention and the only way to test that is exposing him to open doors and temptation!! Make it less appealing. Of course it depends on what breed the dog is, is he kept inside all the time, who looks after him, how old is the dog, is he good with commands.
    I dont see that info and I'm not an expert that's why I suggest he speaks to one and maybe see about obedience classes if he thinks that's needed.

Well from my experience I can tell you that there is NOTHING that will keep a serial escapee from escaping again, given the slightest chance.

The ONLY thing that will kep a dog at your side permanently and (semi-)reliably is HABIT.

A dog that is never given the chance to run away will eventually sort of forget that running away actually exists and just do what it always does ...stay near you.

A serial escapee will run ...the slightest chance he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Does he get enough walks OP? Enough to tire him out?

All of the serial escapees I know of are bored and under-exercised. Not saying this is the case with your dog, but it might be a starting point for you if he hasn't been getting as many walks as you think he needs.

Your dog has run away 10 times this year alone ...I'd say you're a bit too "accident prone"

By running away that often he has also learned that running away is
    a) not at all difficult
    b) well worth it (think of all the adventures he had on his own)

He is now a serial escapee and will do it again whenever he gets a chance. Nothing the vet, an electric collar or a trainer can do about that.

You need to break the pattern, you need to stop him from escaping ...close the shaggin' doors ! Its a very cheap and effective solution (and the only one that works)

Once you have his undivided attention you can work on getting a better bond with and understanding for him and possibly train him to stay inside ...but that will take lots of time and may be altogether impossible.

To be fair, It's always my parents fault when he runs(honestly, it's the truth). e.g My mam takes groceries out of the car into the house and thinks the dog is in downstairs toilet. I refuse to take full blame myself but, that's another story. Also, I forgot to mention that my grandad has a dog from the same litter and he acts the same as my dog.

I do agree he'll keep on trying to run off but, I'm going to try to make a better bond him over Christmas.

Once is an accident. 10 times per year is carelessness.

Yes it's carelessness however, it was just time where he really got out, most of the time he wouldn't get past the family car.
    Dont become a prisoner in your own home and fear the 'DOOR IS OPEN'!!! CLOSE IT QUICK!!! when a visitor arrives - for example. By all means keep the doors shut as much as you can but you have to deal with the core issue.

Of course the vet can help to advise the owner about what to do.

It's funny you say that's what its like in the house, the minute I hear the door bell, I shout "watch the door!" I'm defo going to talk to a vet.
    boomerang wrote: »
    Does he get enough walks OP? Enough to tire him out?

All of the serial escapees I know of are bored and under-exercised. Not saying this is the case with your dog, but it might be a starting point for you if he hasn't been getting as many walks as you think he needs.

Is 45 minutes everyday not enough for a jack russell sized dog? I will increase it, see what happens.

I'm defo going to talk to a vet.

I would suggest talking to your parents first
    (they're closer to the door(s) than the vet :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I think some of the posters here are being very harsh on the OP.
    If the dog is determined to escape, it will. Its also silly to assume that theyre is nothing you can do other than close the doors and hope the dog forgets. You need to train your dog to come back when called so that if he does get out you can call him back to you. You also need to train him not to run when the door is open. 45 minute walk is usually enough of a walk, but perhaps this fella has excess energy. Maybe bring him swimming where you can and its safe. Or a game of fetch or just having a mess round, anything that will tire him out. Id also suggest alternating the routes you walk the dog on so he can still explore, but with you.

Puddleduck wrote: »
    I think some of the posters here are being very harsh on the OP.
    If the dog is determined to escape, it will. Its also silly to assume that theyre is nothing you can do other than close the doors and hope the dog forgets. You need to train your dog to come back when called so that if he does get out you can call him back to you. You also need to train him not to run when the door is open. 45 minute walk is usually enough of a walk, but perhaps this fella has excess energy. Maybe bring him swimming where you can and its safe. Or a game of fetch or just having a mess round, anything that will tire him out. Id also suggest alternating the routes you walk the dog on so he can still explore, but with you.

I can't play fetch cause he'll just run off :( I'd really love to though. I was thinking of bring him somewhere else other than where I live. I'm off to see the vet after Christmas.

Walking him is a good time to try some obedience! I'm crap at explaining but I'll try!

When you bring him for walks keep him on a short lead, this will get him used to staying close to you.
    When walking him stop and stand in one place for a few minutes, pass no heed on him - he'll probably sit down and then when you feel ready and when your dog is relaxed, move off. Do this several times on your walks and be consistent.
    Dont forget to use commands (simply saying stop, sit, come on etc as you go) and praise him when he behaves well.

The idea is to get him used to obeying your command and when you eventually get to play fetch hopefully he will come back to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I don't think it's a good idea to look to a vet for behavioural advice... To be fair, they're not dog trainers or dog behaviourists. Sure they know a lot about dogs but the advice they'll give you will be no more expert than the opinions you are getting here. Some of the advice I have heard vets give to pet owners for behavioural/training problems really makes me cringe.

Really I think the crux of the matter is to train your dog to sit and wait rather than slipping out through doors as soon as they're opened and to come back when called. I'd also up his exercise. All pretty straightforward with a bit of patience, persistence and a pocketful of treats or a favourite toy to incentivise.

You really do need to take this in hand, because one of these days, your luck so far is sure to run out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I can't play fetch cause he'll just run off :( I'd really love to though. I was thinking of bring him somewhere else other than where I live. I'm off to see the vet after Christmas.

You learn to play fetch in your back garden where he cant run away, the same with teaching the dog to come back to you , get it sorted at home first before you try it outside. Dogs generally will do anything for food, so maybe some bits of ham or cheese. Just walking the dog wont wear him out, grab an old sock and have a play in the house. Anything where the dog is kept going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Roxy87

If your dog isnt too big why not try a stair gate?
    They're about €30 in argos and can be fitted on to the door frames(and removed when not in use)
    Also do you not have a fence?

Advertisement