Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bubblegum Hat Ultimate Frisbee Tournament

Options
  • 22-12-2008 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭

Just like my other earlier post about the Beer Bowl there is another hat tournament happening this month. It's open players of both genders all levels of experience.

Its on the 27th of December in Herbert Park in Ballsbridge and all proceeds will be going to charity.

Here's the full details from the tournament director Paul Cronin if anyone is interested.
    For a while now I've wanted to run a tournament on behalf of a charity. Having thought it over and run the idea by a number of people, I decided a fun, relaxed hat tournament near Christmas would be ideal. With that in mind, Broccoli would like to invite you to the Bubblegum Club Hat - a charity hat tournament in association with the IFDA. The tournament will take place on the 27th December and will take place in Herbert Park.

So you're probably wondering why this particular charity. Well, I worked with the Bubblegum Club when I was in school, and they brought a lot of terminally ill children to see Santa and get presents off him. It was a great day and it was hard not to feel how great the work they did was, so much so about 7 years on and I still have fond memories of it. Here is a brief outline from their website of what they try to achieve...

Life is for enjoying, experiencing and living to its fullest. So that these children, who generally have a shorter time than the rest of us, can get the maximum out of life, we pack in as much fun as we can.

As life threatening illnesses ignore socio-economic groupings, we try to ensure that all children on our trips are equal; therefore we do not allow them to bring pocket money. The Bubble Gum Club will always supply each child with the same amount of money.

When we take children away it is also a great break for the parents who get a little bit of breathing space from the 24-hour attention that these children require. Often there are other family members who need time and attention as well.

If you want to find out more about the charity visit the website: http://www.bubblegumclub.ie/

The tournament structure will be similar to hats run in the past, as many games as the light will allow, t-shirts for all participants, a good way to run off those extra Christmas pounds before retiring to McCloskeys for some hot port, maybe some mulled wine and mince pies.

Now, something a bit different for a tournament. I am asking as many of you as possible to come and play, but even if you can't make the tournament, a contribution to the charity would be greatly appreciated. If you can put any money towards it, every little helps. We are going to approach companies with a view to them donating to help the tournament make more money in a bid to give as much as we can to the charity at Christmas.

To sign up, simply visit http://www.irishultimate.com and log in. Once logged in you will be able to sign up for the tournament. The player fee is 10 euro and details will be sent to you about how to pay once you sign up. Email me directly if you cannot play but want to make a contribution to the cause. (paulcronin86@gmail.com)

Please pass this on to anyone and everyone you can, in particular can club captains pass it on to their teams. Anyone with contacts in companies who might be interested in helping out please get in touch.

Here's to Frisbee, mulled wine and a good cause.

Many Thanks,

Paul Cronin

Advertisement