Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Open Market Selling Price for VRT

Options
  • 22-12-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Is the OMSP on cars going to be reduced now because of the massive decline in car values?

What are the figures based on?

If they did reduce it'd be great for buying in England with low sterling and cheap cars out there. I get the feeling that cars are falling in value very fast out there too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Id say their is a better chance of me waking up next to a few of the Pussycat Dolls on Christmas Day then the Government reducing the OMSP

if they reduced the OMSP to a fair price it would be the last nail in the coffin to a lot of car sales over here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Thats a kinda of reverse logic?
    If we are to presume cars arent selling here anyway then the only source of VRT income is private imports in which case a reduction would incourage such imports and boost Tax income.

To the OP, some OMSPs have come down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 modm3

They do come down at a constant rate, but when they're originally set sky high....makes feck all difference. There are some anomolies that VRT is cheaper than expected, finding them is the problem and sometimes they are spotted and closed off, pity it works so slowly in the reverse though.

I don't know if it's a selection of prices on dealer forecourts or the lovely people at SIMI that determine the OMSP, either / or , make of that what you will, all vested interests anyway. SIMI are basically another tax liability to the Irish motorist, I don't like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Shall I harp on again:

OMSPs are totally unrealistic - often 25%-50% higher than actual sale prices e.g. look at a 2001 Mercedes CLK high miles petrol auto 200 Komp - then take a look at carzone!

I could go on....

I have been told that the best thing to do is complain to the competition commission - if you feel angry with the whole VRT system join the club and start writing to the CC and your TD and the EU - it wont just change there needs to be action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

When I was last on the market I found the OMSP on the ROS site was consistently under what I would expect to pay for a decent example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Lucky you - perhaps the rest of us are the unlucky ones! I must be extremely unlucky as I only input the details of cars every day and seem to always get an overinflated false OMSP!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hmmm, I'm not so sure now. Just checked the OMSP of mine, and it's 8.5K or so. That probably is towards the higher end of the price range (it losts lots of value in the 6 months I've had it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Joey_Joe_Joe

Is there any way you can appeal the actual omsp of an individual car when u import it? i think i heard something about that.

Advertisement