Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does the NCT put you off buying a car?

Options
  • 22-12-2008 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Having a debate with someone at the moment about the NCT. He thinks that having an NCT sticker on the window of a car defines that car as a 'old' car and is a big issue for people when considering a car, so much so that people will stay away from 4 year old cars. I don't agree.

I'm not referring to cars that are due an NCT but don't have one, just difference between a 3 and 4 year old car.

What do you think?

Is the NCT a big factor when buying car? 20 votes

Yes, NCT means OLD!!
    0% 0 votes
    Its a consideration but not a big factor.
    30% 6 votes
    Couldn't car less, there are more important things to consider!!
    70% 14 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

And the year clearly indicated on the reg doesn't indicate it?

Your friend sounds a bit stupid to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

That's a new one :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Robertr wrote: »
    Hi,

Having a debate with someone at the moment about the NCT. He thinks that having an NCT sticker on the window of a car defines that car as a 'old' car and is a big issue for people when considering a car, so much so that people will stay away from 4 year old cars. I don't agree.

I'm not referring to cars that are due an NCT but don't have one, just difference between a 3 and 4 year old car.

What do you think?

+1, absolute and utter rubbish. It's the same kind of argument used by people who won't take buses because they won't use public transport because it is "below them". People use these types of utterly rediclious arguments to try to make themselves look wealthy or elite.

This is the kind of mindset that has main dealers able to buy helicopters and race horses, and all that rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

My god...... I cant believe people think like that. Its a stupid way to look at things and is just pure snobbery!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd be more inclined to buy a 4 years old car with 2 years NCT than a 3 years, 10 months old car without.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say having a 4 year old car with a 2 year NCT on it would be safer than a 3 year old car coming upto it's NCT.

Slightly straying from the original point but I would be put off putting a car which has a couple of months left of the NCT as worries on headwrecking fixes like emissions, light alignment or suspension that might require work to pass which could go on through retests.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

No, not at all.

I wouldn't buy a car that should have an NCT and doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    I would be put off putting a car which has a couple of months left of the NCT as worries on headwrecking fixes like emissions, light alignment or suspension that might require work to pass which could go on through retests.

I'd go one step further in the market as it is now. I'd expect the seller of a car coming up to it's NCT to have passed it early otherwise I wouldn't bother. So if I were interested in a 3.5 year old car, I'd expect the owner to hve it NCTd before the sale, giving a 2.5 year long NCT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

An NCT is a bonus when buying a car. All things being equal, the car with the longest NCT will be more desirable. However, having put a car through the NCT to find out how much needed fixing before deciding whether to bother fixing it at all, they failed to notice that one of the rear springs was broken. Moral of the story, even with a fresh NCT, check any car out with a fine tooth comb.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,145 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Complete tripe.

Look what the Celtic Tiger has made the Irish become, thinking a 4 year old car is old because it needs an NCT. Given the current economic uncertaintly and the level of debt this country is in because we bought things we didn't need or really afford, I expect cars of 4 years old to be considered new over the next couple of years.

OP no offence but your friend needs a slap in the back of the head and a dose of cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

whats the story in january with all imports needing an nct before they are registered/vrt'd. anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

well i'd be buying an older car anyways so..
    i'd be more worried if there was no nct!!
    its a good idea in my view

i thought my dads car (1999) was in good shape, and it was, except that brake lines were rusted quite badly, not picked up by the garage/dealer in 2 previous visits that year, only highlighted by the NCT.
    forces you to keep a minimum standard if only every 2 years, worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Having sold my 07 car just prior to the motor industry bust I can only say that I am glad to be driving around in my 99 car. :D

The only problem I have with the NCT is the backdating matter. It was tested by the dealer prior to giving the car to me (date of NCT - 25th of September 08) but is only valid until June 09. Shame you can't make a declaration to say it was sitting in a forecourt (dealer's backyard :D) for over six months prior to that test and have an extended period.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

The only problem I have with the NCT is the backdating matter.

100% agree. To be honest this is typical of the rip off Ireland we live in. If a car has passed an NCT test 1 week ago but his cert has been up for a year then they only get one for another year it's complete tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I bought a car without an NCT - sent it through without a service or anything and it only failed on the wheel nuts being the wrong way round on one wheel. Two years later and it failed for a chip in the windscreen (which was there the last time, guess they missed it), and a crap handbrake - I knew it was a bit dodgy but didn't know it was a problem with the rear drums in general (the self-adjusters were stuck IIRC), so I am very happy this problem was brought to my attention as I now have significantly better brakes and a handbrake that actually works on hills.

My grandad has a '91 Corolla which passed no problems, and my friend has a complete rustbucket of a '92 Civic which somehow has a valid NCT too. If they can pass, you'd have to have some real lemon of a car to be seriously worried about the NCT...

• Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

miju wrote: »
    If a car has passed an NCT test 1 week ago but his cert has been up for a year then they only get one for another year it's complete tripe.

Not the NCT's fault, is it? The cert had been out of date for a year by the time the owner got bothered enough to have his car tested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

while that is true the cert should be valid from date of test. after all its the exact same test every car is going through regardless of how long the disc has expired for

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ This would encourage people to dodge the test though. As it is, there is no financial advantage in not doing the test when it is due.

Not your ornery onager

Who votgrd for nct is old???

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Thanks for the replys. Thats pretty much what I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Id personally rather driving an "old" 4 year old car with a valid NCT and lots of extras that a shiny new base entry, under powered 2008 or 2009 car with a car loan to boot. Its absolutely ridicilious the mentality regarding having a new car in this country and having to keep up with the jones's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote: »
    Not the NCT's fault, is it? The cert had been out of date for a year by the time the owner got bothered enough to have his car tested.

I have to disagree here, we're not talking about tax. It's (supposedly) whether the car is roadworthy or not. The NCT being a year overdue does not mean that it needs a re-test a year early because of it.

Suppose the car was 2 years overdue its NCT - should it then have to do the test twice in one day to catch up?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its setup that way to stop people rolling an extra few months in to each renewal and reducing revenues for the state/NCTS as a result I suspect...

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭cuculainn

eoin wrote: »
    I have to disagree here, we're not talking about tax. It's (supposedly) whether the car is roadworthy or not. The NCT being a year overdue does not mean that it needs a re-test a year early because of it.

Suppose the car was 2 years overdue its NCT - should it then have to do the test twice in one day to catch up?

Yes but if you have a car that the NCT is two years out of date that means you have been driving a car that was potentially unroadworthy for two years.......by back dating the NCT it potentially stop people from doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

NCT is not backdated in a 2-year out of date scenario, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

eoin wrote: »

The sisters NCT was out of date about a month short of the two years, when she got it done they gave her the two years. I know it doesn't make sense. If it's NCT'd, it should be done so for 2 years.

cuculainn wrote: »
    Yes but if you have a car that the NCT is two years out of date that means you have been driving a car that was potentially unroadworthy for two years.......by back dating the NCT it potentially stop people from doing this

If 21 months have elapsed, the NCT isn't backdated...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

The sisters NCT was out of date about a month short of the two years, when she got it done they gave her the two years. I know it doesn't make sense. If it's NCT'd, it should be done so for 2 years.

Thats because you can do your nct in advance of the due date. Up the 3 months IIRC.

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Thats because you can do your nct in advance of the due date. Up the 3 months IIRC.

And six months for first timers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement