Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mock the week

Options
  • 22-12-2008 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

well what do yee think of it................

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Without Frankie Boyle it would be mediocre.

He makes that show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭sr. kila

ya him and hugh dennis.

the young blond guy is fairly bad.

why does dara o briain award points at the end of each show.

its allm pointless (excuse the pun)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Hugh Dennis is brillant all right.

it would be brillant to have colin murphy on the programme.

e is the only funny part of the panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You mean the Frankie Boyle show? I love it, except Ed Byrne is on it far too often, and that bald guy that TALKS.LIKE.THIS. is really annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I really like Mock The Week. Dara O'Briain is a great host and the 4 regular panellists are all really good.
    Favourite guest panellist is definitely David Mitchell - he should be on it way more often.
    Mark Watson, Ed Byrne and Michael McIntyre are all good too (although McIntyre can be annoying at times).
    Female guests usually aren't great, although Jo Caulfield is pretty good when she's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Watchable but not a big fan of this show. I think there are better versions of Panelist shows out there.

It seems to be a mix of Who's Line is it Anyway, They think it is all over and Have I got news for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

I really like Mock the Week! It would be above The Panel but below Have I Got News For You in terms of how good.

The blonde lad is actually really funny, they just edit him quite heavily for the show. Didn't think much of the programme, or the blonde lad (what is his name?!), until I saw the Mock the Week DVD. A lot funnier than what's shown on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It would be above The Panel but below Have I Got News For You in terms of how good.

Bit of a gap between both of them! As IGNFY gets worse the Panel goes and makes it look 10 times better.

Qi is far better IMO.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Bit of a gap between both of them! As IGNFY gets worse the Panel goes and makes it look 10 times better.

Qi is far better IMO.

It's not getting worse, though they do keep cutting it short :mad: The last two episodes, they haven't used one headline from their Guest Publication. What's the point of having it? Even Merton commented on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

phasers wrote: »
    You mean the Frankie Boyle show? I love it, except Ed Byrne is on it far too often, and that bald guy that TALKS.LIKE.THIS. is really annoying
    I would have posted a picture of a nutshell but none were suitable. Good post :)

p.s. Has Frankie left?

The blonde lad is actually really funny, they just edit him quite heavily for the show. Didn't think much of the programme, or the blonde lad (what is his name?!)
    Russell Howard.
    Elmo wrote: »

Qi is far better IMO.

Yeah as much as I love both Mock The Week aand Have I got News For You, I must say that QI >>> Everything else.

BBC are so good at doing panel shows - QI, Mock The Week, Buzzcocks, HIGNFY.

RTE on the other hand have The Panel - a show that has gotten progressively worse to the point where I just don't bother watching it anymore. :(

Russell Howard.

Yeah as much as I love both Mock The Week aand Have I got News For You, I must say that QI >>> Everything else.

BBC are so good at doing panel shows - QI, Mock The Week, Buzzcocks, HIGNFY.

RTE on the other hand have The Panel - a show that has gotten progressively worse to the point where I just don't bother watching it anymore. :(

I was just gonna hit the thanks button for the Russell Howard (cheers!), but then I couldn't agree with QI being better than HIGNFY... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

sr. kila wrote: »
    why does dara o briain award points at the end of each show.

its allm pointless (excuse the pun)

It's been mentioned on the show, several times, to the point where Dara looked at the camera and said "STOP EMAILING IN ABOUT IT". It's just something that they do, the points are awarded in a fairly arbitrary manner, though Frankie Boyle does seem to attract the greatest "score".

I think it's great, even Ed Byrne has been good on it, and he's someone I don't usually find that funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

dont like it at all. Load of dicky imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Great show IMO. Yes Frankie is the best thing on it but there choice of panelists tend to be better than other shows. For me, Mark watson is one of the hidden gems on the show, he dosent get as involved as Hugh Dennis and Frankie but what he says 99% of the time is funny.

"These are the 14 commandments, now will you remember all those?" haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The scottish guy on Mock the week makes the show to be honest. its a watchable show but sometimes it just seems like they are competing with each other to come out with one liners which can be hit and miss.

also some of the panellists can be annoying. QI,buzzcocks and HIGNFY are miles better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the scottish guy does does bits from his act, doesn't comment on the stories enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It's not getting worse, though they do keep cutting it short :mad: The last two episodes, they haven't used one headline from their Guest Publication. What's the point of having it? Even Merton commented on that.

Watch the Saturday "More News" version its up to 15 mins longer.

QI is the daddy, Gawd knows what horrors will unfold as it switches to BBC 1 (apart from the fact NI will shove it to about 12.25 am)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I don't really like it, it's watchable! and I do have a bit of a laugh at it the odd time

but can somebody explain the bit where they all stand at the sides and come in a say something about the topic or whatever, how does that work, I don't get it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

sr. kila wrote: »
    it would be brillant to have colin murphy on the programme.

Ooh that makes me think. My dream team for HIGNFY would be Ian Hislop and Colin Murphy and Paul Merton and Frankie Boyle, with Dara O'Brian presenting. We could call it 'Have I mock the panel'!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mike65 wrote: »
    ta :)

QI ,Stephen Fry is a great host "How can one not be fond of something that the Daily Mail despises?"

Frankie is a gem

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I like Mock The Week a lot. It's one of the few shows I make an effort to tune in to. Dara O Briain is an excellent host. Hugh Dennis & Frankie Boyle are consistently good. Andy Parsons & Russell Howard are funny the odd time. They should make an effort never to have Ed Byrne on the show. I cringe when he tries to make a joke and just kills it.

mike65 wrote: »

QI is the daddy, Gawd knows what horrors will unfold as it switches to BBC 1 (apart from the fact NI will shove it to about 12.25 am)

Yeah the "HIGMoreNFY" is way better than the regular show. Guest publication is my favourite round.

As for QI I don't think switching to BBC will change it that much. Surely it can't be as bad as The Panel switching to RTE1.
    At least QI will still have Stephen Fry, whereas The Panel even when it was still on RTE2 suffered majorly with the loss of O'Briain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

jor el wrote: »
    It's been mentioned on the show, several times, to the point where Dara looked at the camera and said "STOP EMAILING IN ABOUT IT". It's just something that they do, the points are awarded in a fairly arbitrary manner, though Frankie Boyle does seem to attract the greatest "score".

There is probably something in the big book of TV rules about "panel shows" set as quiz'z having to have points awarded

I don't really like it, it's watchable! and I do have a bit of a laugh at it the odd time

but can somebody explain the bit where they all stand at the sides and come in a say something about the topic or whatever, how does that work, I don't get it :confused:

There's a "random topic generator" which will, as the name suggests, generate a random topic.
    Whoever wants to come in on that topic can step forward and talk about it.
    When the first person is finished, the "random topic generator" will pick a different topic and someone else can talkabout that.

I think it must be all scripted beforehand though, because sometimes they step forward before Dara even tells them what the topic is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭vivadeadponies

There's a "random topic generator" which will, as the name suggests, generate a random topic.
    Whoever wants to come in on that topic can step forward and talk about it.
    When the first person is finished, the "random topic generator" will pick a different topic and someone else can talkabout that.

I think it must be all scripted beforehand though, because sometimes they step forward before Dara even tells them what the topic is.

I believe each recording is like 3 hours edited down like crazy, and the contestants are told their topics before starting so they can find ways to place their jokes in

of course Frankie Boyle doesn't even bother saying jokes that're on topic most the time... lazy, talentless s**t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

I love it, but Frankie Boyle is the most scripted comedian I've ever seen. I've seen him live and I thought he was great. I watched him live 3 times on the tv and it's basically the same performence. Nothing new. Just the same old jokes.

At least Andy Parsons and Russell Howard (who are the most criticised out of the 4) come up with their own jokes. Hugh Dennis is great though. Best of the lot in my opinion (Boyle has the best jokes, but I've heard them many times).

• Advertisement
Advertisement