Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice?

Options
  • 22-12-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering if someone could give a little advice. Im currently working for a company that sends people out to work for other companies. Now myself and the other contract workers here are having a few problems. We are not near the head office and so seem to be kept out of the loop.
    Issues regarding pay, bonuses, time off etc are passed down the line when one of us happens to ask. Otherwise we are left none the wiser.
    Weve spoken amongst ourselves and we dont find it very fair. So we were thinking of emailing the manager and informing him that we arent pleased with the level of communication with those outside of the head office.
    My question is, is now a good time to rock the boat? I could easily be replaced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Your post need to be re-written sorry its a bit confusing.

How long have you worked under your present contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Sorry, wrote it in a rush.

Ive been working under the contract I have now for about 6 months. I say that but really I only ever signed a contract for two months and it was supposed to be renewed after that, Ive tried chasing this up but I get nowhere.

Basically Im a contract worker and Im working off site at the moment in another company. Information regarding time off, bonuses, wages etc is passed down from other contract workers on this site. The communication between head office and our manager to contract workers off site is terrible. Were told nothing unless someone happens to ask.
    Myself and some others are thinking of sending an email to our manager to let him know we arent impressed with the level of communication. What Im wondering is if this is a good idea considering the current enviroment and what its like trying to find a job if you lose the one your in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No matter what the environment, don't every try to sort something like this out by email. It needs to be personal contact, however you can manage it. Or at very least a telephone call.

Especially at the moment, try to express your concerns in ways that the management can see the costs and or risks to them. That is, show them the benefits to THEM of giving you better communications. Don't be confrontational - especially now, when as you say there are lots of other potential employees out there.

JustMary wrote: »
    No matter what the environment, don't every try to sort something like this out by email. It needs to be personal contact, however you can manage it. Or at very least a telephone call.

Especially at the moment, try to express your concerns in ways that the management can see the costs and or risks to them. That is, show them the benefits to THEM of giving you better communications. Don't be confrontational - especially now, when as you say there are lots of other potential employees out there.

Thanks, the thing is that its impossible to meet the management in person as the head office is not local and the management cannot come to the building here. Also wouldnt lumping one person into phoning the manager be unfair considering that all of us off site think that it needs to be improved? I wouldnt want to put any one person at risk of losing their job over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

so where is the communication problem? head office to manager or manager to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

Are you working as a contractor ? or Permanent staff with a contracting company.
    Im in the same boat and Im lucky since the communication in my company is really good.

I would have no problems shooting an email to my line managers, HR or even higher if there was an issue like that - but then again it might just be the company im in.

Its from management to me.

Im a contractor. Im lucky enough where I am, but their is no management of the company I work for on the site im in.

Advertisement