Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners make up advice

Options
  • 22-12-2008 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all.
    My youngest (11 going on 40) has this year discovered the delight of make-up but she has no idea of how to apply it so although she is having fun she ends up looking like a kabuki performer. I'm looking for recomendations for books laying out the best first steps and basics or even classes. Are there such things as classes for makeup for kids?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

OldGoat wrote: »
    Are there such things as classes for makeup for kids?

Oh dear God, I certainly hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭badabing106

youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

youtube?
    Genius! I never even concidered that. I'll do some searches tonight and download anything thats suitable.
    TY. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭golden gal

maybe you could even get a magazine, I used to read Kiss when I was younger, and take some appropriate stuff out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

youtube?

+1

Try xsparkage or panacea81. They're both good. However, they can do quite bright looks, which you may not want your daughter wearing. If she watches them she will pick up tips on how to apply make-up properly (I know I'm about 4 million time better than I was before I looked at any of these), but it's very likely all she'll want to wear bright colours... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Could you teach her yourself? I wish someone had showed me when I was that age!

Thanks for the above tips. I have no doubt that she will start reading magazines and learn from them in the future but I'm thinking of the next few weeks so the YouTube idea works better for the moment, especially as I know that she has been given some christmas gifts of makeup boxes.

I'd love to teach her myself but the nearest I've come to using makeup is removing the occasional lipstick mark on my collar. When it comes to drinking beer, belching and going bald I'm sure I'll be a magnificent teacher but as I have no practicle experience in applying makeup I came here, to the fount of all knowledge.

Asking if classes are available seems to have touched a nerve with some though I'm unsure as to why. I must have missed something.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭orlaithd

I have heard of courses in this for teenagers (not sure if they gear them too much towards children as young as your daughter) I remember when I was about 15 my mom heard about one around the Grafton St area of Dublin I didn't go in the end and I can't find it on line now so not sure of the name on that one.

In the end we just went into a department store & asked the cosmetic girls for advice & I was taught a little from them & made sure we bought the right stuff for my skin type & colouring (to prevent the tangoed look:)).

Also an idea would be the colour me beautiful classes- not sure if they are really catering towards girls as young as yours but here's their website www.cmbireland.com they might be able to advise a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

orlaithd wrote: »
    I have heard of courses in this for teenagers (not sure if they gear them too much towards children as young as your daughter) I remember when I was about 15 my mom heard about one around the Grafton St area of Dublin I didn't go in the end and I can't find it on line now so not sure of the name on that one.

Is this what you were thinking of?
    http://www.geraldinebrand.com/teenageworkshop.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭orlaithd

cch wrote: »

Yeap Thats exactly it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Nucky

www.beauty-bootcamp.com run one day courses in Dublin. I think it's aimed at young teenagers so might be worth a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joanbrent

I agree with youtube suggestion, teenagers should opt for more natural look and use light application of makeup only as their skin is still young and is naturally beautiful. Soft and subtle are the two keywords that teens should keep in mind while doing makeup. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

maybe push her in the direction of tinted moisturisers over foundation. & maybe clear mascara?

11 seems a bit young to be going full blown with makeup, i cant imagine it would be good for her young skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

sar84 wrote: »
    maybe push her in the direction of tinted moisturisers over foundation. & maybe clear mascara?

11 seems a bit young to be going full blown with makeup, i cant imagine it would be good for her young skin.

That's what I started off using! Still often use tinted moisturiser. I'd say this is a good way to go as she can be using make-up but not loooking silly/wrecking her face.

If she is using the full she-bang, make sure to get her a decent moisturiser so her skin doesn't suffer as much.

sar84 wrote: »
    Point well taken. I should perhaps make clear that she dosen't wear make-up all day ever day. It is still just a game, a fun thing for her to do. However, with my poor attempt at help she looks like a dragqueen agter a night on the tiles. But she is very girly and knowing her this is the start of a life long relationship with her makeup and I want her to have the right first steps.
    :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

cch wrote: »

I went to that course when I was 15 and it was great. You have to be 14 to go, so maybe keep it on the back burner until there.

Clinique do a lovely tint called Almost Make-Up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I think people are being a little harsh on the poor OP here! He (I think he?) is only looking out for his daughter.

Nothing wrong with make up classes for 11 year olds btw.

Many 11 year olds will be in 6th class - getting ready for the big transition to secondary school where they're all so fashionable and grown up! They're old enough to notice make up and will want to join in so why not teach them the basics first to make sure they don't end up with blusher everywhere? :P

For my 12th birthday party my mum paid for me and 2 friends to go into makeup forever and get makeovers which was great. The girls doing our make up picked out shades that suited us (and showed us on a pallet what type of colour matched our colouring), showed us how to use the different types of brushes, how to apply things like eyeshaddow properly and pointed out that a couple of blackheads and a tiny tiny (barely visible) spot could be easily disguised with tinted moisturiser so there was no need for us to go ladelling on the foundation and concealer. iirc, the makeup they did was in no way trampish or slutty and actually quite cute.

Tbh, a makeup lesson/ makeover is probably more likely to do much more good (avoiding the orange and excessive use of concealer and foundation etc etc that we all see every day on 1st and 2nd years :P) than it could do harm. Knowledge is not the enemy you know!

I know this doesn't really answer your question, OP, but it was a great birthday party if you were ever thinking of doing something like that for her.

edit: forgot to mention. I was off sick for a week about a year ago and was listening to spin and they did a feature on make up, more specifically, make up for younger girls (a lot of whom would listen to spin). The person they had on the show in the "expert" capacity mentioned that the "Miss Sporty" brand was great for young girls that tend to pass makeup around and share it (and who also might be more prone to acne outbreaks) because it had a small amount of antiseptic in the makeup. This is great as in the early years, hygiene with makeup is sooooooo non existent (say what you like, 11-14 year olds will always use each others makeup)

Oh and for those who think 11 is too young for makeup lessons, do you not think it would be a good idea if the person giving the lesson taught about hygiene and how to look after makeup while they're young and don't have any bad habits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

OP I think you sound like a brilliant dad! :)

A makeup class would be a great idea. As miss no stars says, young girls usually put on far too much makeup and the colour is usually too dark. A class would show her how to pick the right colours for her skin.

If you want to buy her some makeup, there's a brand called Barry M (available in Boots and Superdrug) that do chunky shimmer pencils. You can get them in lilac, pale pink, and light blue and light green. They are easy to put on and give a nice subtle look.

The easiest things for her to use will be those Barry M shimmer pencils, a nice mousse blush (Maybelline do one) and some clear or brown mascara (just a regular one, no need for the super-volume ones!). A good mascara is Maybelline Great Lash, it comes in a pink tube with a green lid. It gives a nice natural look.

Edit: There is also a fantastic makeup books for teens by Bobbi Brown (famous makeup artist). It encourages a natural look and has loads of advice.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bobbi-Brown-Teenage-Beauty/dp/0091878179/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230220152&sr=8-3

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Sarah-Jane does make-up lessons for teenagers.
    http://www.bijoubeauty.com/index.htm

I think every girl should get lessons when they are starting out.

Advertisement