Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little advice on a lens?

Options
  • 22-12-2008 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a little advice on this lens

Sigma 70-300mm F/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Interchangeable Lens

its for my Nikon D60, and i guess im just trying to expand my range a bit. The price looks pretty good, and the one review i've found has been pretty good, but its a little dated.

So i would love to hear the opinions of you guys, as i've come to depend on you lot for ideas/tips over the last year.

Or even if anyone has any suggestions for something similar. It would be for more landscape, outdoor photography, nothing fast moving or sporty so i can live with a slower lens.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Being as there's no 'HSM' in the lens title, I'm pretty sure there's no autofocus motor inbuilt in this lens. This means no AF on your D60.

If you want AF, look for Nikon AF-S or Sigma HSM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

AFAIK, Sigma dont call it HSM on this one, its called 'motorised lens' (fancy name, eh?) and you'll need it for auto focus on the D60.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/741927/art/sigma/70-300-mm-f4-5-6-apo-dg-m.html

Thats what you're after. I have one for my D40 and considering the price its a great lens. I know you don't need it for anything fast, but i've used it at a few air shows and have had no problems with it.

EDIT: If you're looking at lenses, it can be a good idea to put the lens name into a flickr search (and arrange by most interesting) to find shots taken with the lens - http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=sigma+70-300+APO+DG+Macro&s=int

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Thats a good tip on Flickr, some fantastic shots taken with that lens.

It looks like it will do exactly what i would like to try with it at least, and its not super expensive either.

Cheers for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

My friends sony alpha 700 striped the plastic af gears in it within a fourthnight, sigma didnt want to hear about it but the camera shop he bought it from gave him a refund. No way that lens is going on my a200 - it has the same high torque motor as the a700. If you want a cheap 70 300 consider the plastic fantastic tamron 70 300 di or second hand

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lukeod

This is a great lense for the price. It certainly needs plenty of light, but its fine in the right conditions. Macro function is fun to mess around with too.

Considering the price - go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Cheers Guys, i just placed my order. Thanks for the recommendations. And have a great christmas to all.
    Paul

Advertisement