Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice needed: importing a car to UK that has been declared off road

Options
  • 22-12-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Okay, here's the deal. A mate of mine is giving me his old car that has been declared off road for the last couple of years. A very nice Volvo S40 which is in great condition. I'm living in the UK so will at some point have to drive it back from the Republic on the Ferry and register it in the UK. I know the drill for registering it in the UK as I have already done so with my existing car which I brought with me from the Republic. I will query car insurance under my existing UK policy so when it gets to UK soil in holyhead it'll be insured. My mate has all the ownership documents. I have a few questions however.

I assume I will have to move the ownership of the car from him to me in a motor tax office (lets say nutgrove) before I bring it over.

1. Will I have to tax the car in the republic even though the only driving I'll be doing is driving it to the Ferry port ?
    2. Will I have to get an Irish insurance policy for the duration of it been driven from my folks house to the Ferry post ?

In other words, whats the cheapest and easiest way for me to drive the car to the ferry to UK ?

Another possibility I have just thought of would be for my mate to add the car temporarily to his insurance policy and he could drive it over on the Ferry. That still does leave the open question of motor tax however.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    TC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

If you get the car registered in your name before your trip to uk, and have proof your going on a ferry and taking car out of country, i am sure if your stopped on route the guards will let you off with no tax.

Its always possible to get temp cover on an exsisting car as long as the car normaly covered on the policy is not been driven at the same time.

I presume the volvo is an irish reg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

1. Technically, yes. In practice, if you have evidence to back up the fact that you're exporting the car, i.e. ownership documents, evidence of insurance, ferry ticket, proof of residence in the UK.
    2. Ask your insurance company, if they'll cover you in the UK with Irish plates, they should cover you in Ireland.

If you're into absolute compliance, you should call the AA and ask about ZZ plates, temporary registration plates that are available for cars which are being permanently exported. The ZZ plate covers you for motor tax and the fee includes insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Thanks lads, Yes, the car is on irish plates. All this makes sense. I am over at christmas so will be able to get to the Motor Tax Office and sort out the change of ownership. I can get the car temporarily covered on my existing UK insurance I'm sure so I can drive it to the ferry w/out worry sometime in Jan/Feb and will bring proof of UK residency, ferry ticket etc. Can leave it at my folks place (parked in the drive of course) until then.

Cheers again lads,

TC

Advertisement